Newb. Charging. Watts? Volts? MaH? aghhh

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frldyz, Aug 25, 2014.

1. frldyz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.
    New iphone user here. 5s
    I need some clarification on charging.

I use my phone constantly thru out the day and am recharging it constantly.
    I have approx 45+ min. commute. So I was looking @ car chargers that are fast @ charging while in the car.
    I also looked @ purchasing a couple extra wall chargers.
    And portable battery chargers.

The iphone 5s is 5v? Does this mean no matter how many volts the device you are using to charge it, it will only charge @ 5v?

How about MaH? The higher the MaH from your charging device, the faster the charge?
    So a charger rated @ 1.0 MaH will charge slower then a charger rated @ 2.1MaH? Do they make any chargers that are higher then 2.1MaH out of a single USB port?

How does watts come into play?
    Does a charger with more watts charger faster regardless of the MaH?

-------------------------------------------
    I purchased a Hyperjuice 18000MaH battery recharger.
    I also purchased a Scosche dual USB 4.2MaH 12w+12w. I believe each port is 2.1MaH and 12w?
    I also purchased a wall charger I dont recall the name...? Its a dual USB port I think its 2.1MaH ( forgot how many watts? ) Brand: ILXX? IXCC? ICXX? Sorry I dont recall.

----------------------------------------------------

Just want someone to clarify the 1st part with me?
    I just want the fastest car and wall charger available.....

Thanks everyone

2. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

When it comes to charging, the device dictates how much power it wants to draw at any given time. The iPhone comes with a charger that has a 1A output. Therefore, any device that provides at least 1A output will allow the iPhone to charge at its optimum rate; there is no way to speed this up. It can slow down if you charge it form a source that is providing less than 1A output and/or using it extensively while charging. The iPhone also 'speed' charges itself up to 80% battery life, then trickle charges the last 20%; so you will get faster charge times for the first 80% of the battery.

For the devices you purchased: they all seem fine for having the iPhone charge optimally. Your battery pack's overall charge that it holds is what the 18000 mAh means. Ideally you want it to be at least 20% or so larger than the capacity of your phone. It has over 10x the capacity of your phone battery so you're set on that. If the battery pack has more than one port on it, be sure to plug your iPhone into a port that is rated at at least 1A output.