Newb Help ASAP!!

Trx450always

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
2
0
So, here it goes, I am a juinor in high school and it is time for me to get a labtop. I have a windows computer at home, and I am looking for something that I can take with me that is light, powerful, and the main thing is WIRELESS, it has to have great wireless. So now that that spheal is over, Here are my questions,
1. Do I go windows or mac? I used to have a old I mac, and my sister just got the new one, so i know how they work, and If I had the choice, I would like to get one.
2. I already know what type of mac book I want, the 13 inch, in black, with upgrade to 1GB or RAM. So its 1599 retail. THe main question here is, Will there be a new realease soon to the mac book line? I don;t care if they update the mac book pro, but if there is going to be a substancial update that will be good, then please let me know what they are planning to do, and when it may happen. I would like this computer before thanksgiving at the latest.
Thanks for the help guys, If I get the mac, you will be seeing a lot more of me in here.
Sam
 

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
425
0
none of us know for sure. I personally think that they will be updated within a couple of weeks. But probably just the new merom processors which don't make a large difference. I personally would wait a couple of weeks but the new chips are only like a 5-15 % speed boost.
 

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
279
0
Toronto
yah the upgrade won't be substantial enough... but if you can wait a couple weeks than by all means wait, if not, the current MB's are good enough for your needs
 

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
706
12
Brooklyn NY
It's also very possible that the new merom processor wont make it into the macbook line just yet. It seems very probable that the faster merom processer will be reserved for the macbook pros. Either way, you're looking at a possible speed bump revision at most. If you want the lappy, go get it. The yonah processors that are in there already are smoking fast. It's an excellent machine, you'll have no regrets.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
It sounds like you're not hard-pressed to buy the new laptop - and that having it by Thanksgiving is acceptable. Given that Thanksgiving is 2 months away, waiting to see if there's an announcement (as has been rumored) sometime in the next couple of weeks should be a worthwhile thing to do.

That being said, there is always the possibility that something will be upgraded the minute you buy the now old version. Just make sure that what you buy covers your needs now and for the period of time you anticipate owning the device. Then don't focus on the fact that a "newer" version is now available.
 

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
513
5
London, UK
Buy it, buy it now!! I was all set to buy a MBP in July and heard the rumours of the update at WWDC so held off, then it was september 5th, now I have waited so long I am stuffed if I am going to buy it pre update. I wish I had just bought the sodding thing in July.