Newb iPhone Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sandmanfvr, Nov 19, 2010.

1. sandmanfvr macrumors member

I hack stuff alot, rooted my android and before I homebrewed my palmp pre. I understand the jailbreak and then keeping up with the new versions etc, BUT I am on sprint and not moving for a while. So I being xmas coming up and having spare cash in the pocket now, thought about hitting the good old craigslist and buying a 3G or 3GS iphone, some 3Gs are cheap and in perfect condition.

When I get it from somebody and they take their sim card out it will still work sans the att network right on wifi?

After Jailbreak IF I wanted to go to att, best thing to do would be restore iphone to full normal os?

IF I try tmobile, just pop the sim in after jailbreak?

On skype and now the google voice app, on a full iphone does the calls actually go through the ear piece and such like the full phone?

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If they sell it to you already activated you can use it as an ipod touch or whatever.
    If its restored and unactivated it will just show you the connect to itunes screen and wont go any further. You will need any AT&T sim to activate and go past that and into the homescreen.
    Jailbreaking doesnt mean unlock. Depends on the firmware and baseband its on you might be able to JB and unlock or just jailbreak and not be able to unlock it yet.
    You can use any AT&T sim even prepaid gophone sims without unlocking. To use Tmobile you will need to have it unlocked.

3. sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

Ok that is what I thought. Already activated means I can use it as I need to just as ipod. Then I can jailbreak and unlock and go from there.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but if its been updated to official 4.1 then you will not be able to unlock it yet.
    If its on anything prior to 4.1 you will be able to unlock.
    Also there is a new unlock comming out soon so even if you cant unlock now you should be able to soon when a new hack is out.

5. sandmanfvr, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

Nice. Has anybody tried the skype and google voice, can they use the iphone mouthpiece and earpiece? I would get an ipod touch, but IF (just IF) I wanted the phone activated I could have that to with a full iphone.

EDIT: Sucks att wants full 2 year commitment even if you own your phone.