Newb jailbreak/unlock to sell questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wrdabney, Mar 24, 2010.

1. wrdabney macrumors member

Here's my dilemma. I am a first time iPhone user and got the 3gs right when it came out. I want to get the new iPhone when they release it and sell my 3gs to offset some of the cost. I have never dealt with jailbreaking or unlocking before. I can't justify going to all the trouble of learning how and jailbreaking/unlocking if I'm only going to get 40-50 bucks more on eBay. So here are my questions. Is it worth the trouble to unlock/jailbreak before selling and how much more could I expect to get? Can a green newbie like me pull it off without too much trouble and without messing something up? I know I'll probably get barked at by people saying just do research, figure it out for yourself, etc..., yada yada. Before I invested a lot of time in it I just wanted to know what I'm up against. Thanks in advance.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

First question, is your phone firmware 3.1.3?

3. wrdabney thread starter macrumors member

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Good, that means you don't have to worry about jailbreaking/unlocking anymore...you can't.

5. wrdabney thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. Glad I didn't try to go to the trouble. Thanks for the time saving advice.

6. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

you didn't help :cool:

7. ssinohio macrumors newbie

well, i am in the exact same position as the OP, everything he said is what I would say except my 3GS has 3.1.2 software. So can someone help me out because I am a newb and searching threads and google were not much help as I was flooded with overwhelming info and conflicting info.

My main needs/questions

1. Just need to unlock. Can I unlock but not jailbreak?
    2. Need to keep info for new phone. So reset/restore or no?

Any help would be great

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can jailbreak a 3GS 3.1.3 Spirit is the easiest. See my signature links. no unlock for 3.1.3 3GS as the moment do out this month rumor has it any way via Musclenerd. so best bet if you can wait till the end of the month. iPhones are never really hard to get either so wait a couple weeks!

9. xenuprime macrumors 6502

So when the 3.1.3 unlock is available what would the steps to sell the phone be?
    Would you erase the phone, then jailbreak?
    Is the phone opperable at that point?

I see lots of iphone sold as unlocked/jailbroken with "lots of apps already installed. So I guess you can still put apps on it after the phone is erased?

Thanks for all the help for newbies by the way. I have started researching unlocking and jailbreaking, but it is very daunting at first. I might even have someone do it for me (they only want $20).

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

lets wait till the unlock is out! Iclarified has great tutorials and updates regularly. and yeah if your not comfortable with it. then it's $20 well spent I wouldn't pay more then though.

11. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for the unlock. It looks like the order is erase, restore, jailbreak,unlock, right?

12. ssinohio macrumors newbie

Please Reply To Post #8.

3GS with 3.1.2 not 3.1.3