Newb Mac Book Pro buying Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tsturbo, Mar 23, 2008.

1. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

I know, I know - Use the search function and I am sure to find the answer to these questions as I am sure they have been asked many times before. The problem is that I will be out of town without access to a laptop and need to make a decision on a purchase very shortly. So here goes -

I believe I have it narrowed it down to the 17" standard configuration: 2.5ghz/250 GB HD and 2G Ram. Here are my questions -

[1]Is Mac Connection a good place to purchase online? Any issues?
    [2]Matte or Glossy screen? Will be used outside occasionaly
    [3]Is the 17" MBP awesome or overkill....meaning would I be almost as satisfied with the 15" MBP, knowing I just saved $800.00? It will not be traveling much if at all.
    [4]Time Capsule 500GB - Good or bad idea?
    [5]I-Works instead of MS Office? The MBP will mostly be for home use (non-business), however, I want the ability to create documents and send them to MS Office users and want to be able to open MS documents I receive, I was told that I-Works will do this?

Thanks to all for helping me out in my time crunch!

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

#3. Personally, I never even considered the 17" an option at all. I think the 15" in just fine, and the 17" is too big (plane rides, taking it to class, etc). What it really comes down to though, is what you're going with it. Are you going to appreciate that extra real estate?

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

[2] Glossy is a bit more vibrant and colorful but the matte is able to reproduce colors and images more accurately. For even a little outdoor use I think you'll find the glossy useless... it will reflect everything. I'd go matte. This is pretty much an opinion, though. If you have a Best Buy or Apple Store near then go check them out for yourself in person.

[3] I'd get the 15'' and spend some of the extra money to get a large external monitor if you think you'd appreciate the extra screen space when you're sitting at your desk, or whatever.

[4] Will you be roaming a lot or will you pretty much keep the Macbook Pro on a desk, etc? Do you already have a wireless router? If you plan to be moving around a lot of the time it would make sense to get a Time Capsule. Otherwise, just go for a good external hard drive you can leave connected. (Oh, and if you don't yet have a router it might help justify the price)

[5] iWork is pretty good for home use but if you plan to exchange files with MS Office users a lot, it might make more sense to go for Office: Mac. iWork indeed does import/export Office files but it can become a hassle if you have to do it regularly.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Unless you're primarily going to be working at a desk (read: will be using the laptop pretty much as a desktop), don't get the 17".

I've had two 17" laptops in the past, and you'll find yourself leaving it behind most of the time in comparison to a 15" laptop
    because: A.) it's too heavy, and B.) it won't fit. The 17" MBP is light for its size, but it's still a 17" laptop, and it will still take up
    a significant amount of space whenever you open it up. I wouldn't buy one unless I planned to keep it at home or at work 99% of the time.

5. Enzo macrumors member

#1 - I checked ResellerRatings.com and MacConnection had a rating of 6.47/10. I don't have any experience with MacConnection but you could buy from Amazon.com instead.

#2 - I have the Matte screen and love it. Everyone has there own preference. I travel a lot and the glare bothered me.

#3 - If your not going to travel as you mentioned then it comes down to cost. Is the extra real estate worth the difference in price? For me since I travel, the 17 was not an option.

#5 - I prefer MS Office 08.