Newb needs some VPN help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jperez51, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jperez51 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!! finally made the wonderful switch to mac (MBP C2D, 2.2ghz, OS X Lion, 4gb ram) and with all these recents news about ISP's throttling or possibly suspending service for those people who download torrents (myself included) i decided I wanted to install a VPN. I tried ProXPn which didn't seem that good and i finally arrived to Openvpn. I installed it and it seems to be working fine. My question is: Do I NEED to use tunnelblick with it or will using JUST openvpn keep me safe from being spied on? I've seen information about setting up the TB VPN client and the only VPN i have set up was through a cisco VPN at work which was simple because it was all done for me. I new to mac and new to personal VPN's so i was wondering if someone could enlighten me? And if i have to use TB, can you explain step by step how to set it up.

FYI: I have already searched on here and a google search looking for a good guide but still don't seem to get it right. Ideally, I would want to only use openVPN app and have it work.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you torrent through a VPN you're just going to get banned from the VPN. No reputable VPN I know of doesn't have language expressly forbidding that kind of thing in their Terms of Service.

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I have used Witopia's personalVPN service for going on five years. Easy installation, servers located around the world and no problems with bit torrent Web sites. Depending on the package you select (it can also be used with iOS and Android devices) it costs around $5/month with unlimited data transfers. Wicked fast servers too!

30-day refund period so you can try it and see how it works for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.