Newb Photoshop: Image resizing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Mar 17, 2009.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Basically I know little of anything about photoshop. I need to crop some images so that they are 384x288 pixels. Right now they are 613x370. Is there a way to crop them to be the 384x288 without the image becoming all squished? I do know I'll have to loose some of the image to do that pixel ratio.

Also I have about 30 images to do that to. Is there a way to quickly replicate it so I don't have to tweak over and over?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you need to crop them, or do you need to scale them?

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I don't know....:confused: I am basically just trying to take the person from the image. The image is wide, but the people are only in the center of the image. If that makes sense.

What is the difference I guess I should ask?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you are needing to ask this, stay clear of Photoshop. It's learning curve is very steep. Use iPhoto. In iPhoto this is easy. The crop tool allows you to set a length to height ratio. Then after the image is cropped you can re-scale it when you export it.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Scaling is just taking the entire image and making it smaller/larger. Cropping is selecting a particular area of an image and throwing out the rest. What you want to do is cropping.

Open the image in photoshop.

Click the Rectangular Marquee tool (looks like a dotted rectangle, should be the second icon down from the top).

At the top of your screen where it says "Style" select fixed size.

Enter the dimensions of the box you want (384 width, 288 height).

Now when you click in your image a rectangular box of the desired dimension should show up. Adjust it so it is how you want it, then press Command + C to copy.

Hit Command + N for a new project, the dimensions should come up as 384x288 and you can just hit "OK"

Hit Command V to paste. Save to whatever file type/name you want.

To do this a bunch of times you could try doing a macro. I do not use these however, so I can't help you with those.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Okay cool. This worked. What would scaling do? Could I scale the full image down to that particular ratio?

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

why not use the crop tool ?

select it by hitting the 'c' key

in the tool options bar enter the size you need (384 px and 288 px) and draw a rectangle where you need your crop. Hit enter et voila.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, this is a much better way to do it. I'm tired...

Scaling would make everything smaller by a factor of 2 or so. Since you have a lot of space you want to get rid of around the people in your images, this wouldn't be a good way to make them more visible.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Would you mind explaining to me how to do scaling as well? I found a few images that I need in the same aspect ratio and they have people on the edges.

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I have to start learning photoshop somewhere. Plus iPhoto is okay, but is annoying.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Open your image.

Select all (Cmd + A)

Copy

New document

Enter the size you want.

Paste (image will be bigger than the new document)

Edit -> Transform -> Scale

use the boxes on the sides and corners to scale the old image to the new size.

This is the way I do it, I imagine that there are easier ways also.

12. Afterthecalm macrumors member

Go to crop then only add one number in the box (either width or height) and then grab the whole image and hit enter.

I usually put the number in the height box when I resize landscape oriented photos and a number in the width box for portrait style of photos.

Don't forget to put px after the number otherwise Photoshop will interpret it as inches and that would be bad (especially if you use a large number)