Newb Question: Can windows users update with an already jb3gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by IceV, Oct 6, 2010.

1. IceV macrumors newbie

I have a 3.1.2 (oldbootrom) 3Gs jailbroken with redsn0w and would like to update to 4.0.1 but the only methods I've found include PwnageTool 4.0.1, which doesn't work for windows.

Does this mean that the only way to upgrade my phone would be with a Mac, or is there another method that I just can't find?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean the custom ipsw file? I got the 4.0.1 from a google search

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No, he means your SHSH blobs, if you don't know what they are, chances are you don't have them. Download Tiny Umbrella to check what SHSH you got saved.

You need SHSH for 4.0.1 in order to trick iTunes to load your Modified firmware (.ipsw)

More details about what SHSH are and about jailbreaking in general HERE

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or open up cydia and look at the top of the page where it says SHSH:
    See what versions are listed if any up there.

6. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

My cydia says at the top: SHSH: 3.1.2, 3.1.2, 4.0, 4.0.1, .4.0.2

So would I use sn0wbreeze instead of pwnage since I don't have a mac?

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You should be able to upgrade to 4.0.1 then just use jailbreakme.com.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, edit your hosts file or run tinyumbrella and download the official 4.0.1 and hold shift and click restore on itunes to select the 4.0.1 ipsw.
    You dont need pwnage or snowbreeze.
    Just restore to 4.0.1 and then use jailbreakme.com to JB it after.

9. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

But wouldn't snowbreeze allow me to not lose my JB in the updating process?

And wouldn't I lose all of my JB data in the update process too? I thought I even read somewhere that you lose disc space on your phone if you update that was part of the JB that you can never get back (although it's certainly possible it's insignificant)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You lose your JB for a few minutes untill you JB it again.
    And I wouldnt recommend snowbreeze to anyone, its not very reliable or solid like Dev Teams jailbreaks.
    Every time you restore or update your iphone to a newer version you will lose all you JB stuff and you will have to install them again along with your itunes music, apps etc...

11. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm tinyumbrella only has 4.1 shsh and says that that's the only version that it can be safely restored to. I'm going to go ahead and assume i should just wait until 4.1 is jailbroken then to update since apparently cydia's list wasn't accurate for my phone.

Also, upgrading will make me lose all my apps? Does backing up or syncing fix that problem?

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You said that Cydia is showing the following: "My cydia says at the top: SHSH: 3.1.2, 3.1.2, 4.0, 4.0.1, .4.0.2"

Then all you need to do is ask cydia for a copy, use Tiny umbrella click the check box for "advaced Options" change the firmware to 4.0.1, and also make sure it said "request from: Cydia". Them just start the TSS and you should have all you need to restore.

13. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see.

So if I sync my apps/contacts and all that, after the restore iTunes will restore them all too, correct?

14. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I guess cydia was wrong because I got this message from TinyUmbrella:

10/07/2010 13:05:30.909 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306)... 10/07/2010 13:06:18.425 This device isn't eligible for the requested build. 10/07/2010 13:06:18.441 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

Guess I'll have to wait til 4.1, but I'm still wondering about whether I'll lose all my data upon a restore

15. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Try getting 4.0. Difference between 4.0.1 and 4.0 is just how signal bar is display.

If you are on 3.1.2 JB, your phone should be pwned JB. Thus, just create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0 / 4.0.1 firmware file and restore with it through iTunes. Before doing that, make sure you have SHSH files (use Tinyumbrella) saved so if anything goes wrong, you can restore to a jailbreakable firmware.

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

I doubt cydia was wrong. Maybe you should try editing your hosts file, and not use tinyumbrella.

17. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if tiny umbrella is worng how would I restore without the proper shsh?

18. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://www.saurik.com/id/12#howto

The above can be used if you have the SHSH stored on Cydia. :) Try and and if that doesn't work, then you def have to wait until 4.1 is jailbreakable.

19. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

I just changed the hosts file and TinyUmbrella still says I can't get the SHSH for 4.0 or 4.0.1

But Cydia claims that it has those files for my device, but I don't want to risk Cydia being wrong (however unlikely) because then I'd be stuck with 4.1 I suppose. Unless there's another way besides TinyUmbrella to check that, it seems I'm going to have to wait.

Thank you all for the help though, certainly answered a lot for me!

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you edited your hosts file correctly then download the official 4.0.1 and try to restore to it without tinyumbrella.
    If itunes lets you restore to it then you do have 4.0.1 on cydias server, if it wont then its not there.

21. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome I'll try that when I get home in a few days. And all I need to do is back up my files via a sync to get my info back after, right?

Thanks for all your help!

22. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the process of backing everything up now.

Although, all of the sudden Cydia doesn't list the SHSH blobs at the top anymore, that could be problematic I have a feeling.

If I can hold shift and select the 4.01 ios software and it lets me, it shouldn't matter though, right? That would mean that Cydia still has my shsh's stored?

23. IceV thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to say everything worked!

Thank you all for your help