Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
I just JB my ip4 with the online jailbreakme.com
installed various apps through cydia etc.

question:
when iOS updates to 4.1, can i updated via Itunes? or would that kill my JB efforts?

Thanks!

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
This will be my firsts JB as well, very interested in any information.

Also, if I decide to rollback the JB, is it as simple as restoring from backup in iTunes?

You guessed it, JB newb here as well.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA

question:
when iOS updates to 4.1, can i updated via Itunes? or would that kill my JB efforts?

Thanks!

It will break the JB. Thats the risk you take. If you JB, you have to wait for new firmwares to be hacked.

This will be my firsts JB as well, very interested in any information.

Also, if I decide to rollback the JB, is it as simple as restoring from backup in iTunes?

You guessed it, JB newb here as well.

Yes. Just hit restore.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

question:

Thanks!

Most certainly Apple will kill the JB with an update, after you jailbreak you always have to follow the comunity for update, they will let you know what's the next step. Sometime you can just update (lose your jail break for a few days) if you can live wihtout JB for a short period of time, sometime if you want to jailbreak you actually need to stay away from the new firmware until a new JB comes out (sometime Apple release deeper updates, like bootrooms and radio firmware, sometime they are just high level changes)

The rule here is, DO not update immediately, wait for a few days and them decided what to do based on the information online. :cool:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
No.

If you upgrade to 4.1, then you will not be permitted to downgrade to 4.0.1. This has been the case for many OS' for a while, unless you were using a 3G.

Stay where you are ... the 4.1 beta is nothing to be excited over, unless you'd rather have that over a JB.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm fine with waiting for the JB to catch up to the next release. Just wanted to be sure. Also glad to hear that I can just do a restore in the event I don't want to keep the JB. Always nice to have the option.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Ok i'll wait..

Theoretical question:

If i update to 4.1. do i lose all the apps? Someone mentioned i lose JB for a while.

so say i update, and 10 days later 4.1 gets JB. I JB my 4.1.. do i get cydia and all the apps i downloaded/bought back? or i have to redo all the apps again?

Thanks!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok i'll wait..

Theoretical question:

If i update to 4.1. do i lose all the apps? Someone mentioned i lose JB for a while.

so say i update, and 10 days later 4.1 gets JB. I JB my 4.1.. do i get cydia and all the apps i downloaded/bought back? or i have to redo all the apps again?

Thanks!

Well, first iTunes will not let you downgrade to a lower version, however if you save your SHSH blobs there are way to 'trick' iTunes into downgrading so yes it is possible.

And to your question, yes you will have to redo all your app, now there are some app out there that backup your jailbreak apps, (pkgbackups and such), now I don't recommend it personally, since every time there is a FW upgrade some stuff may get broken, so it's better to re-install each app one by one so if something breaks you know exactly what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.