Newb question - will i lose my music when i update??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cperchard, Oct 12, 2011.

1. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Hiya, sorry for the newb question.....but all my music i have on my iphone i deleted off my pc (stupidly) as it was taking up too much space, so the only source i have are my cd's and iphone.......so when i update later today, will i lose all my music on my iphone because they arent stored on my pc??

:confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not Necessarily

I think if you set iTunes to sync nothing. (Untick all the boxes) and then just update to IOS5 (which I assume is what you want to do?) You Should be okay It still leaves you without the library on your PC though...I don't know of an an app that will let you copy music and photo's back to your PC from your phone.

You won't lose your apps though...Just have to download them again. Someone here may well know of an app for this?

3. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actaully got a 2nd question i forgot to ask.....my wife has an iphone 4 as well, but we have recently sold the computer she had previously sync'd her iphone with.......is there a way we can use the same computer to update both our phones without her losing any of her apps? She has no music on it so isnt worried about that.

----------

thanks for answer......is it the same idea for my other question mentioned above? just untick everything? or isnt it that simple?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As Long As She

Has an iTunes account, she can download her apps again from the "Purchased" tab.

5. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok cheers mate! never tried plugging in her iphone on my pc in case she ruined it, lol....but i take it that it just asks her to log in to her account?

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

You can easily get your photos off of your iphone, Just connect it with the usb cable and go into your phone through explorer. Thats how i get pictures off of my phone.

7. CmdrThor macrumors member

I thought music and videos had to be restored from iTunes on major iOS upgrades? Regardless iTunes will tell you if it is going to delete all of the music, etc.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They can be restored if they're in iTunes... installing the Gold Master did require re-install of all music and apps from iTunes, FWIW.

9. CmdrThor macrumors member

Yes exactly. So I think the OP probably would lose all music upon updating. I guess we'll know for sure when the update comes out.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah. The OP would need to get the songs off the iPhone BEFORE upgrading (unless the official install works differently than GM). There are some apps like this one...

http://www.digidna.net/products/backoff/download

That get songs off an iPod or iPhone. I know it's possible via jailbreaking too. I haven't done it though, not with an iPhone in any event.

11. mrochester macrumors 65816

I have never lost any content on my iPhone when updating. I don't suppose an update to iOS 5 will be any different.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Hope Your Right

Some of these comments are making me nervous....But since I've never lost a thing when upgrading I can't see an issue. When I went from SL to Lion on my iMac i didn't lose one jot.

Find out soon enough.....I do NOT want to re-rip my entire music collection AND all the vinyl....That really does take time.

I'm sure it will be fine...:)

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

you shouldn't lose anything, but I remember a 4.x something update where there was a glitch and wiped away some music