Newb questions...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ryanspowerbook, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Ryanspowerbook macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

I have a 15" Powerbook G4 DLSD/HR 100G 7200 RPM 2G DDR2 and it is completely stock. I still use it daily, but it just seem so slow and won't play flash. It's too good of a machine to stop using so I am considering if it would be best to get Leopard so that I can update my iTunes, Flash, etc or can I tweak it on Tiger enough to feel updated.. Is it worth it?

I've read a lot of the forums on Flash and tried the download that makes my flash read as 11.5, but it doesn't seem to help my YouTube and it still won't play flash on Facebook.

I also looked at the Webkit, but that seems to be only for Leopard? Which again begs should I try that?

Further on that point, can I install Leopard from an old MB setup disk?

Sorry, I'm sure these topics have been covered somewhere and I have read a lot that seem to be close to what I'm asking, but nothing that is specific to my hardware.

2. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Get Leopard. As far as youtube goes, you could use ClickTo Plugin. I don't know think those discs would work.

3. jchase2057 macrumors regular

No. You can't use the gray discs. You will need a retail copy. Crazy expensive for 10.5 though. I would look elsewhere for a copy...

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

If the op could pm me I could get him one at a good price

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Leopard or not…Facebook and Flash are still going to be underperformers. Upgrading to Leopard will improve things, but using YouTube will still be somewhat slow, unless you utilize workarounds such as Mactubes.

Facebook will still be slow. I'm on Leopard and using Aurorafox. It's still slow. The problem is not the browser or the OS. It's javascript. FB is a heavy user of javascript. All that processing of JS is what slows things down.

Here again is a workaround. Fluid 0.96 will allow you to make a browser app specific to a website. It's webkit and it's fast. I don't use mine much, but I do have a Fluid made instance for Facebook and it performs just fine.

Upgrading to Leopard is a good idea. Just keep in mind that it's only less old. What I mean by that is that while it's going to modernize you somewhat and there are still devs developing for Leopard and it gives you access to more apps that were made for it – it's still an old OS. It's not a silver bullet.

6. Ryanspowerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

one more question... for now.

Thanks for all the responses. Will I still be able to use my Adobe CS with a newer OS?

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

8. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Youtube in Safari with ClickTo Plugin and HTML5 will do the job. It is fast and not heavy at all.

If you ever upgrade to Leopard, use Facebook with Safari or Fluid. On Fluid is fast and with Safari is super fast.

True.. Also there are plenty of blogs that will help you find software or any optimization :)

9. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I have camino and it works GREAT for the browser on my ibook with tiger because it gives you the option to play the flash on the page instead of just loading it all,it really helps me because it speeds me up and I could care less about advertising.Leopard is a good upgrade since your machine will likely handle it with ease.My ibook and powerbooks are about to be 10 years old and that is truly amazing when you sit back and look at the big picture and the idea of keeping up with the latest tech,thankfully people are still out there helping the ol powerpc out.

10. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I have something better than that... send him to me and he won't have to pay a dime since he is in DIRE straits on really needing it and I am assuming money is an object for the OP.

Davie and g4maniac benefited from me helping them out.. perhaps the OP will also.

11. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

jeese, I was just trying to be all oo7 about getting him it for free :p

12. Ryanspowerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

I realize this will make me look more newb, but I don't know how to PM. Also, I have a friend who has a never used retail version of Snow Leopard I can have, but I'm assuming that it's only for Intel Macs...

13. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Well, it does look sort of "newb", but that's just because you aren't allowed to PM until you get 5 posts.

Snow Leopard will never work on PowerPC. There is a chance that this one guy will show and say that it would work if you emulate it, but that is only technically correct, as it would be unreasonably slow.

14. Ryanspowerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

That makes me feel better. I looked all though the options and settings and couldn't find messaging, so now I just need a couple more posts.

15. Ryanspowerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

Also, any suggestions for inexpensive external HDs?

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The best and cheapest is DIY.

Go to your local computer store and buy a cheap external case and a bare hard drive. Put the bare hard drive in the case and there you go. Cases can cost as little as $10. And buying a bare hard drive is much cheaper than forking over for manufactured external. In this instance, SATA or IDE won't matter because it's going in to an external case. So, buy as large a bare drive as you're willing to pay and match it with a case that supports the interface.

Most external cases will have USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. I expect newer cases will probably have USB 3.0 and Firewire 800. Some will probably have Thunderbolt, but our Macs can't support that.

Lastly, doing it this way, you'll get great satisfaction in knowing that you just beat the major external drive makers at their own game.

17. Ryanspowerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

Thanks for the tip. Can I bus power though firewire 800?

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, I don't think so. FW 400/800 is simply an interface. USB is the only one (other than Thunderbolt) I know of that will power a device. I may be wrong, but I've never had a FW capable external case/drive that didn't require external power.

There are certain devices though that I think do draw power such as the external iSight.

Except for some laptop drive cases most external cases you can buy will come with their own power source.

19. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

20. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I recommend an overclock. Don't go overboard on the OC'ing. If there are heat issues underclock to stock, reapply thermal paste, and overclock again. If you run into stability issues you can always underclock to the base clock, as voltage bumps are not supported. Your powerbook is supported. Download ATIcelarator off of my link.
    http://thomas.perrier.name/index.html

21. Neilobrien macrumors newbie

Ah yes, the over clock. So now you've recommended this to the user remind us how you're getting on with your 2ghz PowerBook...

22. jchase2057 macrumors regular

Enough with the overclocking. I know that you're understanding of computers is limited, but please stick to useful advice.

23. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

This is terrible advice coming from a user with no technical knowledge who has tried unsuccessfully to overclock his PowerBook. He also has no knowledge of how to use the thermal paste he has suggested you use. Please ignore his post(s).

I don't believe he knows the difference between a graphics chip and a CPU either. His link is for the GPU.

This is how:
    [​IMG]

Priceless...

24. Ryanspowerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Ryanspowerbook

Yeah, I'm new to the forum and haven't posted much, nor do I have much computer knowledge, but I've lurked this forum enough to see that I shouldn't follow any advice he offers.