newb questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk8er, Jul 14, 2008.

1. sk8er macrumors newbie

I have done some googling but wanted to confirm

1. Iphone 3g does not have copy and paste (and we cant get it) even if we install some sort of jailbreak software?

2. Small point -- is there a general way of setting profiles on iphone . For example, a silent profile which puts the phone calls on vibrate and emails on silent.

3. What is the best jailbreak or "opening" software for the iphone.

4. Fring needs a opening software for iphone for us to use skype voice conversations. ANy ideas on how to do this ? Fring does not have a good installation page on the website

2. Joe23 macrumors 6502

1. No copy and paste support yet (see #3)
    2. Use the ring/silence switch on the left of the iPhone
    3. Can't jailbreak it yet
    4. See #3

3. sk8er thread starter macrumors newbie

Does tmobile support 3g in the US (thinking about returning this one)?

On another note, I need a smartphone which does what I mentioned in my first post and has office and remote desktop. Any suggestions ?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

T-Mobile 3G is supposedly on a different band than AT&T 3G, so the iPhone can't use it.

5. sk8er thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. You seem to know a lot about phones so was wondering if you could point me in the right direction with thoughts on top of your head.

1. office word, powerpoint etc... (preferably have some pdf editing)
    2. remote desktop
    3. fast internet browsing (iphone was not fast enough)
    4. copies and pastes text and email
    5. can install 3rd party apps easily

6. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

1. iPhone does that
    2. Macs do that
    3. iPhone does that
    4. iPhone will soon do that
    5. iPhone does that easily

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There IS a proof-of-concept Apple Remote Desktopesque app for jailbroken iPhones that lets you control your Mac from your iPhone.

It's very preliminary, and probably won't be allowed on the App Store, but I can see it getting cool.

8. sk8er thread starter macrumors newbie

When will this soon come because I remember people raising hue and cry when the first iphone came out ? What if Apple plans to come out with another iphone next year. Do I have to stay without copy and paste for one year.

Also what application can I use for office ? Any link here ?

Also how can it do office when it does not have any copy and paste (seems like that office app might be very crappy)

9. bstpierre macrumors 6502

You can look at office documents in your email using the iPhone. You can not edit them (or PDFs) currently. Sounds like you need a laptop for now, either that or you are looking for someone to recommend a WinMobile device. I have never used one so I don't how good they are at what you are asking for.

I used to have a Palm Treo and it could do limited Office editing using Office To Go.

10. sk8er thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair point. However, is there any app which atleast supports some sort of copy and paste feature (just for text). Something which runs as a background job on the iphone OS (which is supposedly the whole MAC OS 10) and helps us do copy paste from webpages with a weired keyboard combination might be a start. Cumbersome but a start .....