newb

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jhedemark, Jan 21, 2012.

1. jhedemark macrumors newbie

good morning all, after years and years of frustration with windows
    based pc's... i taught my 5 month old vaio how to fly and embraced the light side of the force by picking up a refurb mba 13 running os x lion.
    after a week i am completely smitten with this thing 256 ssd with 2 gig ram well enough for what i do. light, slim, sexy, powerful and snappy! :D
    took no real effort to adjust, and UI is beautiful and intuitive.
    asking myself why i didn't do this years ago! any who, i do have a question about running pc software. i use punch home design for kitchen and bath design
    and don't want to drop another 250 on the same product, any suggestions for a newb ? any input would be greatly appreciated:):apple::apple::apple::)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Install a windows partition on your mac via bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/). You can then either boot directly to windows, or using something like parallels (http://www.parallels.com/uk/) you can run it in a window like a normal program.

To use bootcamp you do need a copy of windows however, so you may need to buy a copy. Personally I picked up a cheap copy of XP as that can run in a much smaller partition (~5gb as opposed to the recommended ~20gb for Windows 7) that I just use for any essential programs through parallels.

Hope that helps.

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You might also like to note that the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro only support Windows 7, as stated by Apple in the fine print.

5. Oli3000 macrumors regular

*officially

6. jhedemark thread starter macrumors newbie

7. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Officially, yes. Don't want to be taking your MacBook into Apple saying "I tried installing Windows XP/Vista/95 and then it wouldn't work" only to get Apple replying "Well, tough *****. We can't help."

8. GGJstudios, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes Virginia, you can dual boot XP and OSX lion.

Apple won't provide support for Windows 7, either:

Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion: Frequently asked questions

9. jhedemark thread starter macrumors newbie

10. KPOM macrumors G5

There's also a separate Windows on the Mac forum where you can find additional information.

With 2GB of RAM, Boot Camp is likely your best option. While you can run Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion, it might run slowly because after you allocate it the memory it needs to run Windows, it won't leave as much to run OS X. 2GB is enough to run one operating system at a time, but it is pretty tight to run two operating systems.

11. jhedemark thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, i don't want to degrade performance on my new best friend lol so i think ill pony up the coin for the mac version of punch. i love this thing !