newbee confusion about apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rich9778, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Rich9778, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

Rich9778 macrumors newbie

Concerning apps, Am I correct that Apple controls all of them, and they should be searchable when I click on the App's icon?. I searched for HVAC apps after clicking the apps icon and found very little. The same with Bible Studies, but a Google search found several that were not found when I entered the Application Icon.

I don't understand how this works, Apple WON'T let me download Flash on my wifes iPad but I can find apps outside the application icon?

I'm going to have to take this mac back if I can't find necessary programs. I've heard of parallels, but those too are confusing at this time and why pay extra just to own a mac, I might as well go back to M$.

Thanks for you time, really appreciate it.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Your question is very confusing. Are you trying to find or install applications onto your Mac?

If so you have two options. You can use the app store which has many apps available for purchase as well as free.

You will only find apps that developers submitted and Apple approved.

Option two. Search the web for apps and purchase or download from the developers website directly.

There are thousands of applications that have not made it to the Apple app store yet so chances are good that you'll find whatever it is you need.

Just to be sure, when you find something on the Internet you can always search the app store for the specific name of the app to see if it's there.

Basically you are free to install applications from any source you choose. You don't have to use the app store but it's convenient to do so.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I just had a quick search through the Mac App Store and couldn't find any HVAC apps for you, like you said. Following this I hit up my good friend Google and he couldn't find anything for Mac either unfortunately.

This means you're left with the option of installing Windows using Boot Camp onto your Mac. This will let your boot your Mac into either Windows or OS X by holding down the Option key at startup.

Once in Windows, you'll be able to install an HVAC program for Windows and use it as per usual.

4. Rich9778 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentlemen, you have kindly answered my concerns with exceptional detail and I sincerely appreciate your time and kindness. Im not sure if I wish to spend more money on this Mac, but the exceptional quality of Apples hardware is a pure delight to use and this keeps me wanting to justify the costs.

Concerning BootCamp, I use Excel, Word and of course other programs which require Windows, do they need to be put on the same partition as Windows?

Thank you again.

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

If you have a copy of 'Office for Mac' you would install it on the OS X partition. If you have a copy of the regular Office used for Windows, it can only be installed on the Windows partition. :)

Glad we could help out.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, but they need to be on a drive that windows has write access, so its conceivable to install them on an external drive formatted to FAT. Generally speaking most people do install the applications to the same volume that windows is on

7. Rich9778 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you again, it sure is nice that there is such a great forum with great people willing to help. I can get Windows 7 Pro64 for about $120, I think I'm going to jump on the BootCamp, need to determine how much disk space I should allow for my programs.

Thanks again to all :) :)