Newbee in need of help....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kevin100110, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Kevin100110 macrumors newbie

Good Day All,
    I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro (Retina) base configuration, and I was wanting to upgrade my router at the same time, I am currently debating between the Air Port Express or the Air Port Extreme, I live in a medium sized apartment with a wall between my pc and my router, I don't edit hq video or pictures or any kind of gaming, I only watch YouTube videos, check email, watch Netflix, Only two devices will be getting Wi-Fi from the Airport (1)MacBook(2)Iphone5s And i don't need any additional features on the back of the Airport USB inputs etc... my question is :
    1.Does the Air Port Extreme has way more "Horsepower" then I need?
    2. should i upgrade the modem Time Warner sent me? (not that old)9 months old tops?
    Thank you all i appreciate everyone's tips/comments/expertise!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can return / exchange Apple products within certain number of days without restocking charge. Buy one and try it.

3. arsimoun macrumors member

One thing I know for sure: the Time Warner modem sucks. Having just been through the wars with them and being told that I shouldn't expect the full download speed advertised because the connection was "wireless" imaging my surprise (not) when a simple change to a decent router add over 40% throughput. Time Warner does not get a lot of good will from me.

One man's opinion.

Adam Rodman

4. Pharmscott, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Your 5s won't benefit from the faster 802.11ac speed and unless it's the latest model, neither will your MBP. It's a nice router, sure. But there are other choices that will meet your needs for less. Check out Cnet reviews.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/

Edit: I just saw that you're buying a new MBP so it will have ac. Still, shop around. Good luck!