Newbee-Ivy Bridge Wait/Buy Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lawndaisey, Nov 2, 2011.

  1. lawndaisey macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    #1
    I am finally coming over from windows. My need for a new laptop is not urgent and I want to invest well. My question is to you long time Mac folks- should I wait to buy my Pro when Ivy Bridge is released in the spring? Thank you so much!
     
  2. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    #2
    ...

    Do you do anything that needs the extra cpu power? Probobly not therefore dont bother waiting.
     
  3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

    MagicBoy

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #3
    If you need now, buy now. Otherwise wait and see if you like.

    There's always something new 6 months away where Intel are concerned. You have to jump at some point.
     
  4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #4
    If your computer will hold you over for the next couple months then you should wait, if not then now is the time to buy as updated models we're just released.
     
  5. lawndaisey thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    #5
    I can be held over for the next few months and the added CPU would be of great benefit. Of course when I am ready to jump it seems smart to wait on Ivy Bridge...?
     
  6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

    MagicBoy

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #6
    Depends if you are looking at the 13" or 15". A quad 2.2GHz with turbo should be just about fast enough for anything. The dual-core i5 as found in the 13" is no slouch either. I'm using the 2540M in my work ThinkPad.
     
  7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #7
    Waiting always seems smart, however while you wait you don't have a (new) computer.

    If there is a feature that you are missing from the current Macbook pros, and that is expected to be part of the new MBPs, then it can make sense to wait.

    Reasons to not wait:
    - you have to put up with Windows for another 6 month
    - there might be features of the new models you don't like
    - there can always be delays
    - the first version of a new product/design could be particularly buggy

    your choice
     
  8. Mr.Uav macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2011
    #8
    Head to BB , i just bought a Macbook 13" about two weeks ago. I bought it to learn OSX well and for school. BestBuy offers the buy back program where they can give you 50% back when new Macs come out, to me i thought it was a great deal ($50). I gotta admit i LOVE my Macbook Pro 13, it suits all my needs.
     
  9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #9
    If I were you at this point, I would wait. You've basically waited 8-9 months, and Intel said Ivy Bridge is ahead of schedule. This means we could see the refreshed MBP in 2-4 months.

    That's just me, though.
     

Share This Page