Newbee Question?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ray&Paula, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

Newbee question,
    Upon closing a web link from an email, I end up with Mail being reduced in the dock. It doesn't matter if I X out or Close Safari, I end up with my desktop screen. In order to go back to Mail, I have to go to the dock and click on the icon to get my Mail window back. Why doesn't the Mail window automatically come back? I’m sure there must be a workaround without having to reopen the window every time. I have this problem in other apps as well. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray :)

2. mastermamo macrumors member

mastermamo

Sounds like minimize closed apps to dock is enabled. Driving and reading this so can't go into it. Will do so later

3. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Be careful......
    --- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2017 ---
    I checked the dock preferences in which the "Minimize windows into application icon" is the only one unchecked. Everything else is checked. Thanks again, Ray

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

5. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

This is expected behavior with full screen. There is some logic to it but I'm pretty sure I don't know the best way to describe it.

If you have a touchpad you can 3-finger swipe "over" to Mail. I prefer to use the Command-Tab key combination to move app to app in full screen.

7. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Wow!! You're right! I'm on a new 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar. I tried both the swipe method and keyboard shortcut which worked in both full and smaller screen situations. I plan on using the Logitech MX Master cordless mouse in the near future due to running FCPX. Hopefully there will be a way to go back and forth with the mouse. I prefer the keyboard shortcut better than the swipe method as you do. Thanks for helping me out..... This newbie sincerely appreciates it. Ray ;)