Newbie 13" MBA questions/advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ChEmNeRd23, May 17, 2011.

  1. ChEmNeRd23 macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2011
    Hello everyone,

    I just joined the site and I'm hoping to buy a new 13" MBA (128GB SSD, 4GB Ram) sometime soon. I have grown up on Windows based computers and am ready for something new. I will be getting rid of my Sony Viao computer to my dad and would like to use the MBA as my main computer. I've read numerous threads about people using the MBA as their main computer and I see no reason why it would not fit my needs. The only things I will use it for are: MS Office applications (WD, PPT, EX), surfing the web, iTunes and watching some movies (via ext hard drive lol). I am VERY drawn to the weight/thinness of the MBA, as I am a college student. I'm sorry to be so specific but I just wanted to layout my scenario and get some opinions from Mac users and those who own the MBAs.

    I see that the SB MBAs are rumored to come out June/July; is it worth waiting for? I'm excited that the BTS sale is coming up soon, so its making me even more tempted to buy one very soon.

    Would the new SB MBAs qualify for the BTS sale if I waited until they came out? I realize the waiting game is uncertain, which also makes me tempted to buy one now (do you see a reoccurring theme??) :D

    Is the Superdrive a necessity? How would I install MS Office?

    I'm also debating about purchasing AppleCare ($183); is this a waste of my money?

    Lastly, with my light usage, is the 13" MBA sufficient to be my main computer?

    Thanks everyone for your help!!! =]
  2. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    My 13" Air is my main computer, I'm an industrial designer and also use it for entertainment, from CS5 to handbrake it gets the job done fine. Yes, my Mac Pro is faster, but I can use my Air anywhere/anytime :)

    When to buy is a tough call, there is more and more rumors from fairly credible sources that a June/July update is going to happen.

    Then there's the question of loosing Nvidia graphics and on and on ....

    I'll buy the new Air the second it's updated, but if it runs hot or the graphics suck I'll return it.

    Either way the Air is a GREAT notebook, best I've had so far and I've tried many!

    Enjoy your Air when you get it.
  3. iPhysicist, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

    iPhysicist macrumors 65816


    Nov 9, 2009
    If you do not game, then MBA is sufficient with or without update.

    But waiting maybe would be good, not just because it helps you to learn patience (or you will possibly become the tech junkie who needs his upgrade every year ;)) but because SB is a huge step from C2D. This will also increase the resale value if you think a MBP would suit you better (or you became the tech junkie).
    Furthermore the current Version would be a little cheaper if the update is not that important to you. 2 month is not that long. The last Noteworthy™ MBA update took almost 2 years ;)

    AppleCare is a must have, but do not buy it from apple. There are some reliable sources who sell it a little cheaper.
  4. FuNGi macrumors 65816


    Feb 26, 2010
    +1 on waiting just to see what falls into the new version. Maybe backlit keys, maybe more storage for cheaper, etc. Regardless, if you find, as I have, that the 13" 4GB C2D+Nvidia chip handles all of your academic/entertainment needs then you will likely have cheaper refurbished units from 2010.

    I would also certainly get Applecare, and as this is your only mac, the external drive to handle loading new programs, copying and burning music CD's, netflix DVD's, etc.
  5. Macalaka macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    +1 on those telling you to wait.
    New SB MBA's coming out soon and they will be out just in time to take advantage of the Back To School freebies which is nice as Apple is not big on freebies.
    Bottom line:
    Put this buy on hold for a month. You will be glad you did.

Share This Page