Newbie, Advice needed on first MacBook Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tdale, Jan 31, 2014.

1. tdale macrumors 65816

Hi all

Introduced to Apple with iPhone 4, the iPad 1. Upgraded most, now have 5S and iPad Air, wife as my 5 and a new iPad Mini. I inherited a mid 2007 iMac which now has 4GB RAM and Mavericks. Have not used it much, I NEED TO

18 months ago probably I thought, OK, this is it, I drove to town to buy a rMBP. No stock. One on display wasn't working, a battery issue I was told. Came home, researched, and saw the screen retention issues on LG retina screens, that put me off.

OK, its now. I still see a few roadblocks, here they are. My intended uses are mainly a coffee table laptop, web, email, etc, although I do download quite a bit so would add an external drive to ease the wear on the SSD. Occasional Handbrake conversions, but if I got a less powerful MBA/P its no issue if any tasks took more time as that wont be frequent.

1. MBA has a non removable SSD, although it can be removed but the interface is proprietary, so if down the track I wished to upgrade it, or after warranty if it failed, I am stuck. Was keen on a 1.7 MBA

2. Are the screen retention issues on Retina screens over?

3. Is it easy enough to buy a refurb 2012 MBP with platter hard drive, and replace the superdrive with SSD, and make SSD bootable? (I can do this in my sleep on a PC, but I wish to migrate FULLY to OSX)

4. Is Retina really worth it? It doesn't seem that different, unless its my eyes. I could see a difference, but not a great deal.

5. 13 or 15? I am keen on a 15 but a 13 has a very very similar image size, it is not a lot smaller at all. The smaller screen size seems not to make a great deal of viewing difference.

6. Are Fusion drives an option on purchase with all models?

Thoughts anyone? Maybe I just enter my first experience with a model that is not the latest, a refurb, where I can change hard drives, RAM down the track?

Or wait to see what is released this year?

Thank you

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

1. ... ? ... Not a question?

2. No.

3. Yes, very easy. (migration assistant)

4. Go see the eye doctor ...?

5. Up to you. What are you using it for?

6. No.

My advice: Retina is nice but with your needs you don't need it.
    Get a base macbook air on sale and safe money and enjoy mobility.

(Unless you download so much that you need tons of storage. In that case pimp out a cmbp 2012 with two hdds)

3. tdale thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your reply

1. Bad wording, sorry, question was are their options to connect a new SSD to the proprietary MBA June 13 PCIe connector?

3. I was referring more to hardware, easy enough to replace RAM, HDD, add SSD on say last years MBP?

What is a cmbp?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Cmbp = non retina mbp 2012

1. Yes by OWC but its more expensive. Maybe more uograde options will be there in the future.

3. Cmbp=everything soldered except ram and hdd
    Rmbp=only ssd not soldered

5. tdale thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you again. I feel that as I have issues with potential retina screen, and SSD change/upgrades to a new MBA, and that OSX is my main interest, I may seek a refurb non r MBP or A with a standard hard drive and go from there. I can easily sell and re buy as Apple gear does sell well, so that seems a logical solution for me to test the OSX waters. I can jump deeper easily enough when I want to.

Cheers
    Tony NZ