Newbie Alert Time.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MagicUK, May 12, 2007.

1. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Hi all,

Firstly i'll put my hand up and declare myself to be a PC to MAC convert. I have just purchased a MacBook Pro and have sucessfully transfered all my data and I must say I am very impressed at how easy it has been. I was totally amazed that it even spotted my IP printer.

I have one little issue however that I wonder if you could help me with concerning Microsoft Messenger for Mac.

The problem is that everytime I restart my MacBook and start messenger it tells me there is a newer version available. I download the messenger602.dmg file and let it run and it all works fine, but everyime I restart I have to go through the process.

Can you help?

2. polevault139 macrumors 6502

When you open the dmg file you should see the MSN icon. Drag that into your applications folder to actually install the file. If you do not do that you are just reading off the disk image and you never actually installed anything.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I would ditch Microsoft's MSN client and use Adium. It supports MSN, AIM, Yahoo and a lot more.

4. MagicUK thread starter macrumors regular

MagicUK

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I will download Adium and give it a go.

I am guessing that dragging and dropping the icon from the .dmg file is something that I need to do for every application I install, correct?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Most, but there are other ways...see these guides :)

6. MagicUK thread starter macrumors regular

MagicUK

Many thanks all!

Adium gets A+ from me and MSN is thankfully now consigned to the history books.

Thanks for the pointer to the guide it has helped improve my understanding a great deal.

I give you all fair warning however, idiot on the loose so get ready for more dumb questions, but please feel free to offer your solutions.

Kind regards
    Mark

7. skwij macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's just "that easy". What's also nice is that if you decide you don't want an app, just drag it from Applications to the Trash. Yeah, it's that easy :D

Another little hint that I really like, is to open Finder, and drag the Applications folder to the RIGHT side of the divider line of the Dock. Now you have access to your apps right on the Dock, as well as in Finder.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Welcome to the World of Mac. It's a lot happier over here; glad you're happy with your decision. ;)