Newbie and loving it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schatzie, Jan 30, 2008.

1. schatzie macrumors member

I just want to introduce myself. This is my first post, although I've been visiting this forum so many times. You guys have all been so helpful. My Windows laptop died a few months ago. I've been wanting to switch to a Mac but couldn't afford it just yet. I recently got my refurbished Macbook for $799, 'cause I still can't afford a new one. It's a previous generation? It's a 2.0 Intel Duo Core with 512MB and 60GB drive and Superdrive. I bought the memory from newegg for like 50 bucks to make it 2GB (max supported on this model). I know it's no new macbook with the SR and all but it'll do for me right now given the price. And I love it. My other computers are still PCs and hope to switch all to Macs one of these days. Every minute I use this Macbook, I love it.

Thanks all so much for helping me in my research. I'm sure you'll see a lot of questions from me in the future.

:)

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Welcome to the family!! We'll be here when you need us :)

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Glad to hear it. A low end refurb is a great way to get your feet wet.

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

You will never look back!!!! I got my first mac last spring and quickly got rid of every pc I had. I am now hooked!!!!;)

6. mosx macrumors 65816

Not to spoil the party..

But let's hope you don't have some of the issues a lot of us have had ;)

Discoloration, case separating, dead optical drives, bulging batteries (and thats just me on 2 systems!).

Lets also hope you never have to send it in for repair and it doesn't get sent to Flextronics. Then you'll turn from Apple lover to Apple hater ;)

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, to be fair, Mosx was never an Apple lover to begin with.

Some of us remembered to cut our umbilical to Redmond when we bought our Macs, mosx seems to still have his attached.

Good luck with your mac, don't forget about 2 finger scrolling and 2 finger right clicking! They will change the way you use laptops.

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Congratulations and welcome schatzie

Glad you're lovin' it, now go spread the word ;)

9. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

considering the age of the laptop, it's probably been took back to apple as faulty, fixed, then sold as refurbished. i'd have alot of confidence buying a laptop refurbished knowing that.

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

It's like déjà vu all over again. I did the same thing a year ago. Same machine also a return and I did the same memory upgrade. Next we'll have to get you through a hard drive upgrade.

Happy Maccing!

sent from my iPod Touch

11. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

We are all glad you went Mac! And you did take care of the only thing crappy that came standard in first gen MacBooks; the ram. Now that you have your ram topped out you *might* want to upgrade the HDD which is incredibly easy, and we'll guide your thru it if you encounter any problem.

Once you go Mac, you never go back :p

-Victor

12. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Very true. If you have issues remember a level head and not yelling gets you everwhere with apple. trust me!

Welcome use it well

13. schatzie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for your replies.

Actually I did have a problem with the superdrive the day I received it. It wouldn't eject my disc. Took it to the Apple store near by, and they fixed it in 2 days.

And yes, I'm finding out new things all the time which is great, i.e. the two finger stuff and Expose. So neat. The only thing it gets pretty darn hot.

Thanks! :)

14. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Congrats. Glad you've got good service from them too. Who cares about SR. Computer technology are introduced every other months anyway. So stick with what you've got and be happy with it! Plus, I bet the difference bewtween SR and non-SR is minimal as this will be the case for Merom vs. Penryn or Panther (whatever the next intel chip is).

Keep lovin' it!

:apple: