Newbie and question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arkious, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Hello all, just signed up to this forum having used it as a guest on occasions in the past. I have an iMac 27" i7 (purchased June 2010) which is my main machine. I also have an iMac "bondi blue" g3 233 which is my little mess on computer (with a screen that still works!) and finally an iPhone 3G S which I'm looking to upgrade upon the next iPhone release. Had the use of many many macs since the age of 4 and only started using pcs for comprehensive school. So basically buying this iMac has been a big jump of 12 years since my g3!

Anyhow... I absolutely love it! Seems a bit more restrictive compaired with mac os 9 but perhaps that's just because I have a lot to learn.

I'm into computer modding for cooling, looks etc. But Ofc this is not required because the iMac in my opinion is perfect. But I would like to ask if anyone has changed the thermal paste to Arctic Silver 5 increase the thermal conduction from the CPU and GPU?

Also has anyone fitted a Blu-ray drive? I know os x doesn't support them at present but for work related programs I have boot camp to windows 7 installed which would allow me to play Blu-rays too.

Thanks a bunch

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Search the forums, there are several threads on the subject with tons of information.

3. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Just been browsing via my iPhone at work so not had a good look round for answers yet... Just thought ad ask 1st.

Al have a look when I get home tonight :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. I've seen people doing that with MBPs. Should be possible with iMacs as well but I haven't see anyone doing it. Not as big concern with a desktop since it won't burn your lap.

2. Your best bet is an external Blu-Ray drive. There are a couple of BR drives meant for iMac and other Macs I think but they cost like 500$ each. Any USB drive should work okay.

5. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Yeah but it's worrying hot (I know it's been designed that way) but a little more efficient paste can't go to harm :-D

As for the bd drive I believe it is a 12.7mm slot loader I need?

Anyone know if Panasonic UJ-235AS will work :) I can get one for just shy of 200$

6. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious