Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cerizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Ive had my mac for about 4 months now? And I'm having trouble looking for good apps for OS X. I have a few like Adium, UnRarx, and OnyX. I wanted to know what you guys have found. Im sry if this has been posted before, i looked but could find a post.

And also, do you guys know any good maintenance apps like OnyX.

Thanks.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Seriously, you couldn't find anything?

There are about a million different threads about apps.

MROOGLE.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Search. There are hundred of threads.

You can also look up apps here
macupdate.com
versiontracker.com

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Macupdate's one of my favourites. But then again I never tried to build up my stock of apps. I only looked for them when I needed them :confused:

Cerizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hey, im sorry. Im way to busy to look thou 300 post to find ONE app. I didnt know what MRoogle was, but I will used that now thanks.

And is there and app that can tell you if your mac has a virus?

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Hey, im sorry. Im way to busy to look thou 300 post to find ONE app. I didnt know what MRoogle was, but I will used that now thanks.

And is there and app that can tell you if your mac has a virus?

Welcome to the forums and the world of Mac.

Generally speaking there are VERY few Mac viruses for a variety of reasons, but as you suggest, that doesn't mean that they are 100% immune. There is anti-virus software out there just as there is for PCs. I think Norton makes a Mac version. Also, there is one I have (got it in a software bundle) called NetBarrier X5. It works on a subscription but I like it. It gives me an extra measure of security, albeit one I generally speaking don't need.

Keep in mind, the best way to exploit a Mac isn't through a virus but with a security exploit, so make sure all of your OSX and third-party browser software is up to date to close as many of those exploits as possible.

You may also find these useful for new apps.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=571489

http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/01/top-100-essential-mac-applications.html

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Your not funny, but a mac CAN get a virus. Friend had a mac, not running windows and got the iBonet (what ever the name was called) virus on April first.

Wasn't trying to be funny. There are no mac viruses (not for OSX anyway.)

If you know otherwise please provide me with a link so that I can educate myself.

Oh, and to answer your original post. You may find freemacware of interest.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Wasn't trying to be funny. There are no mac viruses (not for OSX anyway.)

If you know otherwise please provide me with a link so that I can educate myself.

Oh, and to answer your original post. You may find freemacware of interest.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/01/another-mac-vir/

Granted, this was limited to those who use bit torrents to get pirated software and hence, was not widespread, but the key is that there is bad stuff out there for Macs, too. Indeed as Macs increase in marketshare, you will end up seeing more viruses and trojans written for Macs as they will be more profitable to the writers.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/01/another-mac-vir/

Granted, this was limited to those who use bit torrents to get pirated software and hence, was not widespread, but the key is that there is bad stuff out there for Macs, too. Indeed as Macs increase in marketshare, you will end up seeing more viruses and trojans written for Macs as they will be more profitable to the writers.

Hehe. I was just reading the same thing. It is a trojan though, and not a virus. I rather avoid a lengthy discussion on the possible semantics of the two.. but I will link you to the clamXav site (a free mac virus scanner.)

If you want to use it... go ahead. If it makes you feel more secure, than by all means use it.

I am not saying macs are immune to viruses (or malware), only that at present there are no viruses that are a threat to OSX.
The market share has very little to do with the lack of viruses. There are millions and millions of macs out there.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Im only here when i need help. People are kinda rude here.

Thats why I used the happy smilie b4! I knew it that after reading the title most ppl are just going to open the thread just to flame u!

Dont worry, we all do it at times and get it at times!:)

Welcome to MR!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.