Newbie Bookmark/Resume Music Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WallyG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. WallyG macrumors newbie

I've made the plunge and bought my first iPod. I love the video aspect of the touch but does the music side support some kind of bookmarks or at least resume where you left off, after you turn it off?

I listen to recordings of radio shows that run 2-4 hours and I used to use a Rio Forge that would allow you to create up to 9 bookmarks to return to a recording after listening to something else. I see the touch returns to your stopping place when watching a video but no such setting for music/audiobook files.

I thought that I heard that ipods supported bookmarking, so this is my biggest disappointment (along with the inability to add calendar events on the go, but thats being rectified).

Does anyone know where to send requests for features/fixes to Apple?

Wally

P.S. My last Apple purchase was an Apple IIe ,way back when, but Vista may bring me back!

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Right click on a song, and then choose Get Info.
    Go over to Options and tick the first box down there. (Remember playback position).
    That should do it...if not...then i dunno. :confused:

3. WallyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Move along...nothing to see here...just bad computing...:p

4. WallyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Your suggestion worked!!! The only problem is I have to manually set this for all my files but I think that I'll only use it on the long podcasts and radio shows.

(As the geek inches slowly toward a MacBook Pro... ;) )

5. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

i dont understand what you are trying to do still. i thought the above guy provided a fix for your problem? like what else do you want besides resuming playback? thats like the same thing as bookmarking. you say that you want to look for a way to bookmark a spot on the song on the iPod touch as well as in itunes.

His method works. In his method, basically, for example, you can play a song on your IPOD TOUCH. Lets called this "Audiobook A". You can then pause this song at a time say 20:00, and play an "audiobook B" after you dont want to listen to audiobook B, and pause B at 3:00. You can then click on audiobook A and it will continue playing at 20:00 even though you clicked on a different song. After finishing audiobook A, you can then go back and play Audiobook B, and it will resume at 3:00. this might sound confusing , but i assure you it makes sense an works on your ipod touch, not just itunes.

if this wasnt what you were looking for, could you make what you want a little clearer?

hope this could help

6. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

oops, 2 minutes late :)

if you dont want to manually set this for all your files, just go into your ipod touch through iTunes and highlight all of your music files, right click, press GET INFO, and then check mark the box that says "resume playback" now all your files will resume playback

cheers:)

7. WallyG thread starter macrumors newbie

30 seconds late...

Thanks for your input but you saw that I figured out the first recommendation and I did your suggestion just now.

I truly thank everyone for their help...

W

P.S. I have a "37" week 16G touch that looks great. It came with the new firmware and I ordered an Invisible Shield for the front and a silicon(e) skin for the back. (I like the tackiness that the silicon(e) skins give---I'm worried that these ipods are too slick and that I might drop it)

8. WallyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Than....Wellll

I found the only flaw with this way of resuming songs and long recordings. When you sync your touch, it forgets them. I just wish it could keep a file onboard that would remember the points when I last listened to the file.

No big whup---I'll live. I would like to suggest this feature to someone in-the-know. Any info on where at Apple to send suggestions (a suggestion e-mail box? ) :rolleyes: