Newbie Coconut question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joemero, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

Does Coconut battery app have to appear on the desktop? Is there anyway for it to just appear on the dock? Everytime I put the desktop icon in the trash and click on the one put in the dock it tells me to take out the program from the trash :-(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Desktop is a place to save files to and view mounted volumes/drives/USB sticks.

As Coconut battery is a ZIP file, that may have been already extracted by the browser of your choice, it will only show up as a file on the Desktop (or the Downloads folder).
    When you start the actual Coconut application, from the Desktop or the Downloads folder, an icon will appear on the Dock, to show, that this program is running.
    The Dock is not an actual place to put files to, just a placeholder for aliases/shortcuts to applications or folders and the Trash.
    Putting a running application into the Trash is not recommended. And running an application, that sits in the Trash, is not possible, as you experience.

Just put the actual Coconut app into the Applications folder, and it won't show up on the Desktop, just in the Dock.

If you mean the window, where all the stats are, you can close the window by clicking on the red circle on the top left, but that behaviour also quits this program.

Was that of any help?

Maybe this can help you: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

3. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

a lot of help...thanks for the quick response! I'm loving my mac! :D