Newbie could use some advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vinveger, Jul 18, 2011.

1. vinveger macrumors newbie

Hello...

I'm thinking to buy a iMac and could need some advice what iMac to buy.

I think I will only use the iMac for: Internet, Mail, light work with Photoshop and time by time XPlane and Call of Duty 4.

I have the next options (first model about $170,00 less):

21.5" 3,2-GHz Intel Core i3
    4 GB
    1TB HD
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 512mb

21.5" 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    4 GB
    500MB HD
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Is there a big difference between these two ??

2. SkippyScud macrumors member

You will mainly see the difference when it comes to Photoshop and Gaming. Mostly the gaming. Photoshop and gaming will take advantage of the i5. You will have some waiting with Photoshop, but nothing too horrible. Gaming will really show the difference from the i3 to the i5. I've not played COD4 on a PC, so I can't speak to how it would run ported to OSX either.

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I'd go with the quad-core. Who knows if you will go from Photoshop to other Adobe apps, while using them at the same time.

4. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

Newbie could use some help

+1 And1ss

Also, When I bought my imac in May I also maxed out on ram and took the 1tb hard drive. These are good investments and you'll wish you had these sooner or later (and probably sooner.)

5. SkippyScud macrumors member

Good points, the extra $ would be worth it for the longevity of the machine.

6. sonarghost macrumors regular

I'll put it to you this way. I was facing the same problem recently trying to figure which mac to get. I decided to spend a bit less money and get a cheaper model but found myself a bit disappointed. I returned the machine within the 14 day return period and bought a maxed out one and am very happy with my choice. I wish I would have listened to a few others on this forum and some of my friends and gotten the best I could afford and saved myself quite a bit of time and effort. If you get the better cpu model you won't kick yourself thinking "what if" when it comes time to user more power hungry programs. The resale value will also be better.

7. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

I also wish I would have gotten the 2tb hard drive. I understand it provides quicker access to the data.