Newbie CSS Question - Vertically Expanding Columns

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ac6789, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ac6789 macrumors member

I've just started to learn CSS and this is probably a stupidly simple question but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this.

I have a two column website, one column is the navigation the other is content. The nav and content are in a "wrapper" div with the content floated to the right.

The navigation has a green background colour and I want the green to expand downward as the content grows. Right now if content goes past the bottom of the navigation, the green stops under the last link.

I don't have the code with me right now. But as an example of the effect: Imagine a two column table. As the content column expands down, so does the nav column auto-filling with a green background.

Since the content expands the wrapper div, I thought, height: 100% would work, but that didn't do anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I would put a bg image on your wrapper that has green on the left row, and whatever color for the right row. Common practice.

3. ac6789 thread starter macrumors member

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, that's how I usually do it too.

5. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Yup, no need to overly complicate things :)

6. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

This doesn't seem like it would work with an elastic layout...unless I am missing something. If I am would someone let me know?

I was playing around with this technique last night, but was having some trouble getting everything to display correctly: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/multicolumnlayouts

Does this work well for any of you? If not do you have another suggestion?
    Thanks!