Newbie dual boot Mac Pro question!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by serverplads, Mar 19, 2010.

1. serverplads macrumors member

Hi there! I have tried to search for this question but with luck. I know it’s a newbie question, but I just want to make sure before I do anything.

I have a Mac Pro (early 2008) and just bought a second HD and Snow Leopard. I want to install Snow Leopard on the new HD and keep Leopard on the HD I already have installed. There shouldn’t be any problem with that, right? I don’t want there to be any conflict with the current Leopard I’m running as I’m really busy with work, and just want to keep on working from there! I just want to try Snow Leopard on the second drive before I go ahead and update everything!
    Is there a guide somewhere on how to do that? Thanks

2. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Typically no problem.

A simple quick guide ...
    1) Run the DVD Installer of Snow Leopard
    2) Select the correct HDD
    3) Setup as per usual

Remember, select the correct HDD. If you want to pay it safe, remove the other HDD from the bay and run the installer.

To select which OS to boot. Hold down the "Option" key upon boot. Alternatively, you can select your startup disk from System Prefs. Further details shall be provided upon request (if necessary).

3. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! Ok, so its safe to take out the HD that is in now, pop in the new HD, install snow leopards, pop in the old HD again and now both have Leopard and Snow leopard running? It’s not going to interfere with my user account of anything, since it’s on two separate drives, right? Thanks

4. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Our pleasure. It just so happens I'm free and looking around the forums.

As long as you take caution in handling the internals and hdds, I do not foresee any problems that will interfere with your user account.

Side note:
    In fact, even with a single hdd (multiple partitions), you can install the various build of Mac OS-es you like, but I certainly do not suggest you do that.

Update:
    Have a look at the link below. Since you have a new system, you might consider optimizing your workflow etc
    http://macperformanceguide.com/

5. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Ok, great! So I should not worry about loosing my work on the drive where I have installed Leopard on? As long as I don’t install Snow Leopard on that drive? I’m just afraid that when I boot into Snow Leopard and then reboot back into Leopard, that my profile will be lost and my work as well. But I guess that is not going to happen as long as it’s installed on a separate drive. Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it! Great to have people like you that is willing to help out! Thanks

6. JeromeOD macrumors member

There's absolutely no reason why that would happen as long as you select the right disk for installation!

7. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Thank you for your kind words. Just doing a little to contribute to the mac community where possible.

There are times (very rarely) the other hdd would be affected. If you want to be absolutely certain the other HDD isn't written upon, you can either physically remove it from the bay (troublesome) or simply unmount the HDD(s) you are not using. I believe a simple automated script can do that upon startup of the respective OS-es.

8. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Wicked! Thanks a lot you guys! Looking forward to try out Snow Leopard now! I think I will just remove the Leopard HD and install Snow Leopard on the new one just to be sure. It’s easy to swap drives on the Mac Pro, so that should not be a problem! Once again thank you so much!

9. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Just to be more specific: turn off your Mac before removing or adding a drive. The current MPs don't handle hot-swapping.

Loa