Newbie - Express Card, what now?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quarkrad, Jul 15, 2009.

1. quarkrad macrumors newbie

New Macbook Pro just arrived - very nice. Inserted third party Express Card and inserted CF card. The lights on the Express Card are lit up, red shows it is powered up, yellow shows it has recognised the CF card and green shows it is accessing data. Great - I can access/read the photos on the CF card............
    But nothing has happened on the Desktop. I expected some sort of window to pop up. How do I access or see what is on the CF card? I am not familiar with the mac but a quick look at Go - Computer reveals nothing (should I see the Express Card?) nor does anythin come up if I launch iPhoto.
    Any advice appreciated. (Express Card - Better Connectivity)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Is the card formatted?

2) Most cheap/cheapish express card readers just use the USB port in the express card slot so it's no faster.

3. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

The card is formated FAT. It was a cheapish card but it has all the right specs and says that it is fully 'Express Card' (my words!) and not usb (speed wise). The card is used in a Nikon - I think FAT is the standard format perhaps there is a choice. As I have the card out I could try different formats - do you think FAT is OK. (It was formated under winXP - although I can access the card reader through Linux/Ubuntu as well).

4. macbookproFTW! macrumors newbie

FAT should be fine. Did you try opening a finder window and looking under devices on the left hand side. It should be there and if it's not then perhaps you need to install some firmware for your card reader.

5. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

apologies for simple question. When you say Finder window do you mean get to a state where on the top it says Finder, file, Edit, View, go, etc and then go Go, Computer? When I do this I do not see the Express card under Devices. all I have is the HD icon and another for iDisk. Looks like although all the lights light up the Macbook is not seeing the card. I will see if I can find the manufacturer of the card.

6. cube macrumors G5

Double click on the hard disk icon to get a finder window.

7. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help. For some reason,last night, it started working -glad because I could not find any site for Best Connectivity although they sell many type of product.