Newbie Final cut/imac question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sunne718, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Sunne718 macrumors newbie

I have the following early 2008 Imac with these Specs: The iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 20-Inch Aluminum (Early 2008/Penryn) features a 2.4 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (E8135), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 6 MB shared level 2 cache, a 1066 MHz system bus, 4GB of RAM (800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-6400), a 250 GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive, a vertically-mounted slot-loading DVD±R DL "SuperDrive", ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics acceleration with 128 MB of GDDR3 memory, a built-in iSight video camera, and built-in stereo speakers underneath the 20" glossy TFT Active Matrix LCD (1680x1050 native) display.

My question is what version of Final Cut Pro can i successfully operate? Will the graphic card in this unit affect the quality of videos edited in Final Cut? Will images from Atomos Ninja be to large to process on it?
    I also see that Final Cut X requires a later graphics card then what is built in, what effect will this graphics card have on editing in final cut X? One other side note, I have an exeternal monitor (HD TV) attached to the i mac, will that remedy the early graphics card?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'd say your system is under powered for editing uncompressed HD video. The quality of the work will not suffer but you will be waiting, and waiting for everything to happen. FCP X allows you to edit with proxy media that is down sized so you might get away with that.. But if you can afford the equipment to record uncompressed HDMI you hold be able to spring for a newer computer.

OK if yo are really stuck with this on, buy more RAM. As mach as will fit (I think theta is 16GB) and consider a SSD as the media drive, certainly do not put the video files on the system disk.

Using proxy media and being able to wait might get you by.