Newbie going further

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hampshireman, Oct 9, 2008.

1. hampshireman macrumors regular

Used Mac for some time and happy with Firefox etc and you may see from my profile I set up two websites using the SiteKreator tamplate programme which is all I need.

Now trying to use ftp to send documents to website. Have downloaded Transmit (on recommendation) and managed to connect with the relevant server. I need to look into Transmit help pages for further stuff.

Problem is, I have always written my articles in Word. I believe I can save as text. Do all the punctuations, abbreviations, paras and inverted commas etc translate straight across?

I have found the basic codes to start and head a document, then when I need to enter the body text do I have to use codes for paras, spaces etc? Can't get a straight answer on this from searches so far.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Most, but not all, formatting saves in text from Word. Mostly margins, pagination, headers/footers, heading types, etc, are lost. Line breaks, paragraph breaks, basic layout stuff is generally intact. Why not just write it in text to begin with?

Text is text, and when FTP'd to the site, it's still text. ASCII text, more specifically, and it's all "codes" to begin with, including spaces, LF's, etc. Plain text should appear as written in an HTML site, but you still have to format for font, size, color, bold, italics, etc.

3. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

OK - thanks for this prompt and informative reply.

May sound daft but where is text by the way?

I presumably don't open Word.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you're looking for a basic text editor, than TextEdit is already installed on your Mac. It should be in your applications folder.

If you're looking for free solutions that are good for web coding and will integrate with your FTP program, try a web search for Smultron or TextWrangler. Both are free online, and come highly recommended.