newbie....got some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MatrixPrime, Sep 17, 2007.

1. MatrixPrime macrumors regular

So I've been waiting for a touch screen iPod for a while now. When they were announced, I pre-ordered one that day. With all of the reports of the screen issues, I decided to cancel my order before it was shipped.

Now with that said, here come the questions about the iPhone. If I buy the iPhone to simply use it as an iPod, and NOT as a phone, is that possible straight out of the box? If not, is there software that allows me to activate it on my own?

Since this would just be an activation rather than an unlock, would firmware updates possibly cripple the iPhone and make it unusable?

If I do this, is ALL of the funcationality besides the phone useable (WiFi, iTunes WiFi, camera, etc....) ?

Thanks.

2. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I'd say...wait to see what happens with the screen (whether future production models are better or whatever) and buy a Touch. If you don't want the phone part, don't buy an iPhone.

3. mets1125 macrumors regular

I would just wait until the next update to see what happens. 2nd quest. If you activate then all functions will work.