Newbie has an iTunes syncing question :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deanshu, Jun 22, 2009.

1. deanshu macrumors member

Okay, so I went out on Saturday and got a 13" MPB, 2.26GHz.

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop that has a couple of files I want to keep in sync with the Macbook Pro.

I have one hurdle already down with Dropbox - I sync my important documents/files between the desktop and the Mac. However, I would really like to have my music synced between the two iTunes libraries as well. I did a quick Google/forum search on the issue but it seems like people haven't arrived at a conclusive answer or it involves programming with rsync, which I'm not familiar with at all.

Any advice?
    Thanks

2. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and I have an iPod touch that stores all my music, if that makes any different. I have it set up to sync with the PC.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I use rsync for syncing to an external HDD, but it should also work across a network.

It's basically an open source syncing utility that should already be built-in to Mac OS X.

I made a thread while trying to learn about it, and how to use it Here

The rSync main page is Here

I learned how to get it working locally, but over a network -- that still has not been done (by me). Maybe I'll mess around with it to sync to my laptop running XP. If you manage to figure it out yourself, let me know.

4. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Um... I'm not sure if I'm up for all that tweaking o.o Thanks for the suggestion, though... I'll give it a shot if all else fails.

Can anyone recommend a standalone program to do what I need it to do?

Thanks!

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun