Newbie. Have old G4, bought used 17" apple studio monitor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ctgirl, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. ctgirl macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2008
    Thank you for your help. I have a G4 and the monitor went. I bought a new/used 17" apple studio monitor. It has a ADC cord. What kind of adapter do I need. I have read it is the DVI, but how can I be sure that is where the monitor goes (in the DVI port) . Also, my old monitor connected the key board and ipod, etc... where do I connect those to now? Please help. Thank you!!
  2. snagitseven macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2008
    You'll need an adapter like this:

    You'll have to plug your keyboard directly to the G4 in one of the USB outlets on the back - sam place your monitor was plugged into on the Mac. If you have more devices than the 2 USB ports, you need to get a USB hub - you can get them anywhere. If you have an iPod, you can get one like this Belkin which has a docking station and is a USB hub as well.

    Be sure to get one that's ac powered into the wall. Some devices require a powered hub.
  3. MikeL macrumors 6502

    Jan 22, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    Disregard everything that snagitseven has told you. It is incorrect information. He's shown you what is used if your computer has an ADC port and your monitor is DVI. That's the opposite of what you have and will not help you.

    Before anyone can give you the correct information, there is one question you need to answer: Is your display the 17" LCD flat panel, or is it the 17" old-style CRT?

    Also, what kind of G4 do you have? If you don't have an ADC port, it must be an older G4, correct?

    If you do not have an ADC port and have the LCD display, you need a DVI to ADC Adapter. Apple still has these for sale, for $99. Dr. Bott used to make a competing product, but I don't know if it's still available. The reason you need this type of adapter is because ADC connections supplied the video signal, USB, and power. There's no way to power the display without these adapters. They're bulky and expensive, but they do work well.

    If you do not have an ADC port and have the CRT display, the display you purchased is unusable. The DVI to ADC Adapter doesn't supply enough power to run the CRT. The only way to use the 17" Apple Studio Display CRT is with an ADC video card/system.
  4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

    Jan 9, 2008
    Disregard everything the above two posters have said- it is incorrect information.

    Actully, Mike's wasn't, but I thought I'd be cute.

    For $99, you'd be better off eBaying an old AGP card with an ADC port; you could possibly/probably get it cheaper, and it'd be faster than the one you've got now (likely a Rage 128 or Rage 128 Pro if it doesn't have an ADC port). Unless you've got a Yikes! G4... which is basically a B&W G3 w/o an ADB port, and a G4 CPU dropped in. That would suck.

    Anyway, you'd get the added benefit of being able to enable Quartz Extreme, which takes load off the CPU and puts it on the graphics card, making things in OS X's GUI be silky smooth instead of choppy. You could do that with a PCI card (with PCI Extreme hack), too, but then you'd still have to buy the adapter since no PCI cards had the ADC port.

    If you want more than 2 USB ports, just get a USB PCI card.. you can get a USB 2.0 PCI card for faster speeds than the 1.1 you've got in there.
  5. MikeL macrumors 6502

    Jan 22, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    Nice idea, but if she has a G4 older than the Gigabit Ethernet models it won't work. Given that she apparently doesn't have an ADC port, it's likely that her computer is older than the Gigabit Ethernet G4s.

    Why won't it work? Because those older models don't have the electrical support for ADC video cards. They won't provide any power to the ADC port, so the monitor will not work.
  6. ctgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2008
    Damsel still in distress

    Hi Guys....Thank you so much for your help. I am still totally lost. I have been looking on ebay to buy an adapter, I just want to make sure I have the right one. The monitor is a flat screen LCD Apple Studio Monitor 17". How do I know what kind of G4 I have? It was a hand-me down, so I am not exactly sure. I understand that I need to get a DVI to ADC adapter. How do I know what kind? I am confused now about the graphics card too. Do I need this? Do I have the crappy bxw G3, Firefly?
  7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030


    Oct 7, 2007
    You don't have the crappy b+w G3 if it's not bright blue and white. Do me a favor and look on the back of the computer, there will be a small rectangular sticker. There will be a model number somewhere on it, like M****LL/A. If you cam post that number/letter combo exactly, we can determine what machine you have and go from there.
  8. ctgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2008
    Thank you iM. There's a rectangular sticker on the back with the serial number, ethernet ID and 500MHZ/IM CACHE/256MB SDRAM/27GB HD/DVD-RAM ZIP/KB. Do you need the serial number or ethernet id? or something else. It says Power mac G4 on the back with the year 2000. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
  9. ctgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2008
    It's not bright blue and white. More like light blue and gray/silver.
  10. theLimit macrumors 6502a


    Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
  11. jwdawso macrumors regular


    Jan 13, 2002
    Here's another place to get the adapter that will allow you to connect an ADC display to a DVI computer.
  12. ctgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2008
  13. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a


    Aug 15, 2006
    A400M Base

    Hi dude,

    Although the mentioned adapter would work, I would not spend that kind of money.
    All you need is a graphic card with the Apple ADC port. Something like this...

    It cheaper and works as long as you have a G4 with AGP
  14. ctgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2008
    Hey Dude Alex. What the heck am I going to do with that thing on ebay....looks like tiny city in computer. I'm just figuring out adapters...when I increase knowledge I'll look for that. Thanks.
  15. MikeL macrumors 6502

    Jan 22, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    Ignore what Alex has said. He doesn't understand that your computer is a pre-ADC model, and has absolutely no support for powering an ADC video card.

    Putting an ADC video card in your computer will not solve your problem.

    I wouldn't spend the money for the adapter. The 17" Studio LCDs have a horrid reputation for dying. Better to sell it and buy a monitor with a VGA/DVI connection. They're cheap.
  16. jordanownsamac macrumors newbie

    Nov 11, 2008
    lol some advice to you

    everyones advice above is incorrect

    just kidding, but i had to

    my advice to you is to save up some money and buy a g5, lol j/k good luck getting everything up and running
  17. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

    ignore everything i say. i'm all wrong.

    just kidding.

    except that's wrong too.

    you bumped an old thread. naughty.
    me too.

    phew. my multiple personalities really P us off sometimes. for fading posterity's sake:
    i have a 1999 sawtooth. the svga crt works fine with the stock ati rage pro 128 agp.
    open the case (that funny suitcase handle on the side) to verify the original agp card is there. then get a 19" (or larger) crt free off of craigslist, and you should be done. (caveats: 20" on craigslist is actually 19". 21" or 22" may also be 19". posters just want someone to come haul off their crt, so they rarely post the model number, so ask. 90's crts tend to be losing color(s))

Share This Page