Newbie - Help me understand 3G vs WiFi on the 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hsk, Jul 3, 2009.

1. hsk macrumors regular

OK, when wifi is on and there is a connection, the iPhone uses wifi instead of 3G. I notice that when the phone comes out of standby, it is on 3G until it figures out wifi is on and connects (have confirmed this with my router - when asleep, no wifi connection, obviously). So, if wifi is on and the 3GS is asleep, then what pings email or anything else that may be "live"? 3G or wifi? 3G I suspect, right?

Also - in general, when in wifi range, wifi is easier on the battery than pure 3G? I have 4-5 bars of 3G most of the time and average about 600 kbps overall (low of 200, high of 1800 depending on the time of day).

2. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Wifi is shutoff in sleep mode, then reconnects after wakeup. So all data is transferred over 3G while asleep.

Yes, wifi is better on the battery than 3G. EDGE was the best, power-wise, but on 3G networks you're better off using wifi when possible.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Or you could just hit the "off" switch on 3G

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

This is what I do at night...Edge is fine for checking email overnight...

5. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

IMO, turning off 3G is a pain - as well as turning wifi on/off. Just wanted to know what was happening when wifi was not on. Wish Apple would allow "one click" programs to turn wifi and BT on/off.

Also - if you leave wifi on all the time, is it constantly pinging for a network when you are out of range? For example, if I am at home on wifi and then I leave, should I turn wifi off or will it turn itself off so to speak since there is no wifi to connect to?

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

It will continue to look for wifi connections if wifi is turned on. Otherwise how would it know when you come into contact with one? If battery is going to be an issue, turn wifi off when you leave the house.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yes...many of us are hoping for a "profile" feature soon where you set up feature usage profiles for different locations...just touch the profile and all your features toggle on or off to suit your needs at each location or time of day...

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Much easier to keep your phone plugged in overnight. It has to be charged anyway.

9. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks what I thought, just wanted some conformation. Thanks!

I know - it was one of the first programs I Googled for! Noticed it is only available for Jailbreaks.