Newbie! Help with upcoming SnowLeopard & Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thisisi, Aug 26, 2009.

1. thisisi macrumors newbie

Ok, so I just transferred from PC to a MacBook Pro this summer and bought Snow Leopard with the Up to Date program. So with its arrival this week, I need help on how I’m going to install it. I have NO idea on what to do.

I use time machine and I’ve backed up everything except the iLife applications. Will TM have any problems restoring MS Office and CS4?

Also, when I restore whatever I have in Time Machine, its not going to go back to Leopard is it?
    If there is any links that you guys have found helpful , please share!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

DON'T THINK LIKE A PC!

It's an upgrade, not a demolish and rebuild. There will be an option to just install OVER Leopard without destroying ANY of your files, don't worry.

3. Vinz1019 macrumors newbie

You can easily upgrade a PC too without losing any files or data, be it 95 -> 98 XP -> Vista or any other common upgrade...

Just sayin'...

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Right but there's 2 ways to go about it.

On the fritz, ie WinStyle. Every time you need to install something or delete something you pull your hair out wondering "what if!!! what if!!!"

It just works, ie MacOS style. When you install something, it's installed, when you delete something it's gone, no pain.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

As long as you buy the right version of the software and not necessarily the one you want.

6. dandaman2 macrumors regular

If worst comes to worst (yes, it CAN happen) then TM should do everything for you. Otherwise, do a standard upgrade, and you'll have no need to restore.

7. holden57 macrumors member

Does Mac OS 10.6 install over 10.5 or replace 10.5?

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The $29 upgrade disk will UPDATE Leopard, it doesn't destroy and replace your previous install.

All of your files and settings will be safe.

9. holden57 macrumors member

No no, I realize that but will you just have an useless versions of 10.5 sitting around on your computer, or is that removed via the upgrade option.

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Most of the files in Snow Leopard are the same in Leopard. Similar files stay the same, useless ones are deleted and new ones are...born..*tear* so beautiful

11. holden57 macrumors member

Okay cool, thank you. As my OS is only about four months old, I may just upgrade to 10.6 then.

12. Rich1803 macrumors newbie

Just install SL.. I just finished the install and it was as smooth as silk. Had to reconfigure mail...took like 5 seconds. The SL runs fast and smoother with many little upgrades that makes for better usage. I also installed Iwork. I was using Microsoft Office for MAC. Iwork is so superior it isn't even funny. I was a PC for 20 plus years ...now I'm a MAC and damn proud of it!

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Why do people capitalize "mac?" Does it stand for something? Most Awesome Computer? o.o

Anyway, I installed SL, it was seamless and Painless. Nothing was lost.

I love iWork so much, I laughed when I tried to imagine doing some of the things I can do in Pages and then trying to do it on my old PC with Office...I would die.