Newbie Here---Some Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamWNyc, Jul 25, 2008.

1. AdamWNyc macrumors newbie

I should be getting my first iPhone and first Apple product since my old Apple 2C and day now. Don't shoot me, but I am a PC user. My questions are:

1) Since I use a PC, and have my contact and calendar info on outlook (not email), can I use this to sync my contacts and calendar? Or is there another application I can and should use?

2) Once my phone is up an running, I know I can access itunes from the phone, but can you rent movies or just buy music? If I do buy music from the phone, how does it get into my itunes library on my PC?

3) On my POS blackberry, i get my Gmail pushed to me. Can I do this with the iPhone or do I have to use the web on the iPhone to access my gmail?

Thanks all for your help!

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

1) Yes you can throuhg the exchange server under the "Mail Settings".

2) When you sync your iPhone to your computer you can transfer purchased items from your phone to your account. You can also rent movies and buy movies / music / ringtones, etc. You have to do this on your computer, then sync your iPhone and transfer to the phone.

3) In the mail settings you can push GMail so your all set.

Hope this helps, others correct me if I am wrong on anything.

3. Bodah macrumors regular

I don't believe you can have gmail pushed, but you can have it set to check every 15 minutes.

4. rayward macrumors 65816

1) Your iPhone will sync contacts and calendars with Outlook (but not Outlook Express). No extra software needed.

2) You can only buy music (and apps) directly on the iPhone. Movie renting has to be done in iTunes, but then you can sync the movie down to your iPhone. Purchased music and apps are copied up to iTunes whenever you sync the iPhone.

3) You can access Gmail either by using the iPhone's browser, or you can set up your Gmail account in the Mail app on the iPhone (very simple process - basically you just input your address and password and Mail does the rest). It's IMAP-enabled, so it'll stay in sync with your Gmail account, but it's not push. To get push email on the iPhone you'll need to add the MobileMe service.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Also it should be noted that you can only access the iTunes store on the iPhone when you are on wi-fi.

6. AdamWNyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton!

Are there any apps that I can use instead of outlook to keep and sync my calendar and contacts?

One stupid followup regarding gmail....Like I said, I use gmail on my blackberry. When I use my PC to send an email from gmail, gmail sends the message then immediately deletes the sent message from my sent mail folder and the trash.

Any idea whats going on?

7. rayward macrumors 65816

iTunes will sync with address books on Yahoo and (I think) Google.

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

windows calendar and windows contacts on vista, address book on xp

nope, but make sure outlook is set to save sent messages

9. RJ17 macrumors regular

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding MobileMe. Maybe they aren't but almost every time someone mentions push gmail, people bring up mobile me as providing push. MobileMe is a different mail service that does do push, but it doesn't make other mail providers, such as gmail, become push services.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can set mobileme up to push your gmail to your iphone, and to have it set up so that replies come from your gmail account
    see here

11. RJ17 macrumors regular

That is true but it still doesn't make gmail a push service. I think there are people who think MobileMe will make any email provider push. Just my thoughts.

12. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Your iPhone contacts can sync with Windows built in contacts manager Windows Contacts.