Newbie hur

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InsertNombre, Sep 1, 2011.

1. InsertNombre macrumors newbie

So I'm going to be switching over to Mac from PC before I go back to the uni.
    I was just having problems deciding on an SSD. And I did look at the other thread for SSD, but that one was for a 15" and I'm getting the 13".

So far, I have narrowed it down to three choices: samsung Mz-5pa, Crucial M4, or Crucial C300

P.S. They are all 256 GB SSD

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have OCZ (3GB/s) Vertex 2's in several of our older Macs and I'm very happy with them. Anandtech has good reviews and comparisons of SSD drives. That's where I went when I was looking. SSD is so expensive, I'd tend to find the lowest priced one and then scour the web for its faults to make sure you aren't getting stuck with a unit that has some flaw like slow transfer rates. This is the biggest issue with SSD. Some have older controllers that don't support newer SATA speeds (6GB/s). Some have slow transfer rates even with the latest SATA.

In my main machine, I have a Seagate Momentus XT. It's a 7200 RPM 500 GB HDD / 4GB SSD "hybrid" and performs very well for only a 10% premium over a normal 7200 RPM drive versus the double or triple or even more you might wind up paying for an equivalent SSD.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    15 or 13 use the same size SSD, 2.5, check out OWC

4. InsertNombre thread starter macrumors newbie

So would sticking to a lower SSD such as a 120 be a better option?

I only had those options above because they seemed the best, and I was leaning toward the Samsung because of the positive reviews it has.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

A 120GB isn't a good option if you need more space and have the money for a bigger drive.

If you need a 256GB drive and can afford it, then look at the 256's.

6. InsertNombre thread starter macrumors newbie

Then I should go with the Samsung SSD I mentioned