Newbie iMovie problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scrap2day, Jan 8, 2009.

1. scrap2day macrumors newbie

I had all of my home movies put on a hard drive by an outside source. Having worked in iMovie before I felt confident I could take these movie files and then make edited movies for family members.

The problem I'm having is iMovie isn't recognizing any of the files. The company created them as mp2's and wav. I thought I just needed to convert them to DV or mp4's and I'd be good to go. BUT imovie wont recognize any of the files I converted. I used ffmpegx to convert them. I've tried making them dv's, mp4 etc.

Could it be the way they are named? It created files like 327337-001-002-DVD.mp2.ff.mov.mp4.dv

Sorry to trouble you as I hope it's just something stupid I'm missing.
    thanks!
    Leslie

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you still have the originals, convert them to DV or mp4 using MPEGStreamClip. It's much easier than FFMpegX

3. scrap2day thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I had tried that first as that was the recommended program. It doesn't see the files either. (Well it sees it but they are grey.)

It does however see the files that have already been converted. But says file too short.

4. scrap2day thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction: If I change the option to "all files" it does see them. The wav come in as sound only. then it says it can't create the file. I must buy the mp2 first. Give me a break! I thought it was a free converter.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The converter is free. MPEG2 licensing is not. No matter what program you use, you need a MPEG2 component installed.

Do you have Perian installed?