Newbie in Server/Cloud storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Augure, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Augure macrumors regular

Hi!

I recently decided to upgrade all my external HDDs, for storage capacity but also for other things: I want it to be a network accessible storage to store and access data from wherever I am, but I want it also to be able to manage websites stored.

So what is the difference between a simple HDD and a NAS, then between a NAS and Server, and what kind of device should I use to have the functions mentioned above ?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

An airport extreme plus usb hdd can create a nas. Lacie makes a nas for around $130. Synology is a very good nas that takes your sata drives inside and usb external drives. An Apple Time Capsule is a nas. Other options include an old mac or pc running osx, linux or freenas. I suppose windows home server could be used but this IS macrumors...

3. Augure thread starter macrumors regular

So basically a NAS is just the hard drive for all datas, and the server is just a type of OS or software that runs on a computer ?

4. drsox, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

NAS = Network Attached Storage. See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage
    The storage is usually provided by a "box" that acts as a Network Server for Storage - i.e. allows users on PCs to access storage over a network without having the storage attached to their PC.

A favourite implementation of a NAS is to use more than one drive together in a configuration that provides some redundancy in the case of a single drive failure. This is called a RAID setup (redundant array of independent drives).

Many NASs however only have 1 drive and are there to allow more than 1 user to access the same storage at once.

Popular vendors of "small user" NAS units are Qnap, Netgear ReadyNAS, Buffalo, Western Digital and Synology. Personally I have used the ReadyNAS range for 5+ years.

To answer your other question : What's a Server ? A server provides the ability for a service (printing, storage, scanning, internet access etc) to be accessed by more than 1 user at once over a network.
    This way each user can use the service without having to have a dedicated device attached to their PC.

E.G. As well as a NAS, I also have a USB server (http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/usb-device-servers/). This allows me to connect lots of USB devices to a single "box" and then access them over a network. It also allows the other users in my house to access the same devices without needing to keep plugging/unplugging them from each PC.

5. Khanjr macrumors newbie

I bought a lacie nas a while ago (maybe 6 months) and it's really buggy and random in it's behaviors.. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but recently I think it's been knockin on deaths door cause it's been getting more erratic and glitchy and the spinning disk in it makes weird clicking sounds...Anyway wouldn't recommend waste of $$$$.
    I do however like the conveniece of Nas storage despite what happened and I am looking into gettin a new Nas server, can anyone recommend a reliable brand/model that won't break the bank too much. Reviews of nas servers seems to be fairly inconsistent depending on which website I'm viewing. I'm basically thinking of getting a netgear ultra 2 or 4 diskless or synology, anyone have any experience with any of these?
    Sorry bout the long ass post...I'll shut up now and be in debited to anyone who can help...

Thanks!!!

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

As I said, I have been using ReadyNAS units for some time now. I have had bad experiences with the 2 drive Duo and 2 drive Ultra, but excellent experience with the 4 drive units and 6 drive units.

My advice - get a 4 drive unit and put 2 drives in it, then add more if needed.

7. Augure thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks drsox, really informative.

So let's say I do not only want several users to access stored file over a network, but also be able to put a service or website on it, I should get a Server with internal storage space or NAS attached to it?

And to update or program the website or service on the server that's when I have to connect it to a PC ?

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Now you are beyond my level of expertise.
    However, there are servers who also function as a NAS, but whose prime purpose is as a server.
    You'll have to ask someone else for more expert help.

However, there are a range of services that I know the ReadyNAS range can provide as add-on modules - both from the manufacturer and from users. Have a look at the website and see if it is any help. I don't use any of them.

See : http://www.readynas.com/forum/

9. Augure thread starter macrumors regular