Newbie Iphone 3g Questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ASTER123, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ASTER123 macrumors newbie

When you jailbreak the 3g...will cydia and installer both be there Automatically?

How do i put themes on a iphone...if i go to a iphone themes site and download it directly to my iphone..how do i set it?

Which has better & more apps Cydia or installer...do ppl still you installer like that

When you jailbreak then update firmware will your appstore apps, pics, videos, contacts and music be deleted?

What is push mail? i mean does the iphone automatically notify you if you get an email anyway?

On beejive?...if i minimize the app how will i kno if i got a new im? how long can it be minimized until it shuts down?

Does the Poking the hole in the speaker Mesh make it louder on the 3G? what should i use to do it safely and not damage the speaker

2. efice32 macrumors 6502

I can tackle some of these, I'll leave others to those with more expertise.

Yes when you jailbreak it installs cydia and installer automatically.

For the themes, I just installed all of my themes through cydia, so I'm not sure how to do them from the computer. Someone else can take this one.

From my experience, cydia has much more functionality than installer. During my jailbroken days I rarely if ever used installer.

From what I understand, you should not update the firmware on a jailbroken phone without first restoring it to it's un-jailbroken state. Jailbroken phones and new firmware don't play nicely.

Push mail is only available on the iPhone through microsoft exchange and Yahoo. It sends the emails to your phone the instant you get them. Otherwise you have fetch mail, which checks for mail every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour (you set it in the settings). You can also fetch manually.

Beejive can be set up to send you an email when you receive an IM while not in the app. However if you don't have push mail this doesn't have as much value. If you're planning to jailbreak then you can install backgrounder and have beejive running in the background. With this set up, beejive will display a notification showing how many IMs you have (like mail, phone, or sms). It will also vibrate the phone once when you receive a new IM (like sms). However, keeping beejive running in the background is a huge drain on battery life. In the settings for beejive you can customize how long you would like it to keep you signed in to your IM service once it is inactive. I believe the max you can stay logged on for without using the app is 24 hours.

As for poking the hole, I wouldn't advise doing that. It could damage the speakers and it would also void your warranty (in a way that can't be un-done).

Hope that helps!

3. The Governor macrumors regular

To go off what efice said.

I would recommend that you stay away from installer. Through not only my own bad experiences, others here as well say to avoid installer.