Newbie iPhone 4s question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rodmo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. rodmo macrumors newbie

Am a newbie to posting here although I have been using Apple stuff (iMacs/MacBooks/iPad/iPod/Apple TV/MacAir) for quite a few years.

The one area where I am still very old school is with my mobile phone, I use the most basic Samsung flip phone. I have decided to join the modern world by getting a smart phone.

My question is: for someone taking the giant leap from what I have to a smartphone, seems to me the iPhone 4s is likely the best overall choice? ie. dependable and stable, maybe not as leading adge as some of the android phones but a great overall balance of features?

If I were to look at just one of the droid phones to compare, which one would I look at?

Thanks for the help!!

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Don't waste your time, just get an iPhone.

If you have used all that Apple stuff it should be a no brainer.

:apple:all the way

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Feltzem macrumors regular

Sure they're great phones, but the OP wants something dependable and stable- one area where iOS definitely trumps Android. And in terms of the overall set of features and how they are integrated, definitely go with the iPhone. And this is coming from experience. I've used a lot of Android phones, including about a week with the Galaxy S2, and I believe that the iPhone/iOS is the best choice for a smartphone.
    At least in my opinion :)

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Since you already have an IPAD, you already know how to use most of the features on the iphone. They are like little brother, big sister. (or something like that)

Really, why look at anything else?

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Given that you already have a lot of devices using the OSX/iOS/iTunes platform, I believe you'd gain a lot more from the platform sharing benefits of choosing an iphone than you would buying an Android phone.

Not saying you shouldn't look at other options, but there are a lot of benefits from the common platform.

7. rodmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, my wife and I both purchased the 4S 16GB (hers white mine black) and we love the product. :)

8. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

What really matters

In the end, what really matters is the user experience. I’ve personally had both Androids and iPhones, and while some Android phones really are good, none of them are great when it comes to the entire user experience. It is what really matters, and Apple has nailed it.

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

As you might expect from a member of an Apple oriented site, I like the iPhone best.

The Galaxy S-2 would be my choice among the non-iPhones though. It's pretty nice.

As for the tech within, I'd say having not just 1080p video, but 1080p video with stabilization, best voice activated functions (by far), and a screen with unmatched pixel density aren't exactly putting the iPhone in the category marked "yesterday". Apple certainly isn't known for using bleeding-edge tech, but does tend to jump on things when they think they've got it right.

The new hardware mixed with the new iOS 5 software has brought out a few bugs that they need to step on- something that's basically unavoidable with tech. I wish it had a little bigger screen, and that point alone pushed my uncle to get a Galaxy S-2.

And that leads me to my best piece of advice. You should buy what you like best. Your opinion is the only one that matters in this. No phone is "perfect" but find what floats your boat best, and get it!

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

S2 or wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

If your scared of "smartphones", an iPhone is the dumbest smart phone out there.

11. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Tell that to the other millions of iPhone users idiot. :p

12. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Am I the only one who CAN'T STAND Samsung's terrible graphic design/UI overlays? Specs maybe insanely great, but who care. I want it to run well, be beautiful, usable, etc....