Newbie Iphoner Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mac'nCheese, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

New to AT&T and iPhone. Is there any kind of symbols found somewhere on the iPhone to show the user if their sent texts were successful. On my old verizon service, you got a check for text sent and received properly, an arrow for texts sent but unknown if received and a red X if the sent failed. Is there any kind of alert system like this. And yup, I did a search and came up short.

P.S. I also did a youtube search for basic iPhone tutorials and tips and got a lot of junk. If any of you have a great site to recommend for tips and tricks with videos, it would be appreciated.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

If the text fails to go through, you'll see a warning symbol next to your sent text. Tap the symbol to resend. This is almost never necessary. If you don't see a warning symbol it means your text went through.

PS You don't need tricks and tips, just have fun with the iPhone. But go ahead and ask your questions right here in this very excellently titled thread, we'll try to be nice :)

3. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Actually, there are a number of tutorials on the Apple.com website. They will provide you with a lot of tips. The manual can be found there as well, if you have some time for "dry reading" :) However, as the last poster stated, if you ask, you can get a lot of help here and at the Apple Discussions page.

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thanks guys. Here's another: can I get date to show up next to time on home page?

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

On the lock screen, yes. On the top bar I think not...unless you jailbreak.

EDIT: Just keep your calendar icon in a prominent place, it shows the date in the icon.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So..... I can't zoom using the video camera and the best way to take a video is to hold it sideways/landscape. Is this correct? As usual, thank u for all it help.

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

One more for today, I promise. Trying to edit a clip on imovie on my phone. Want to move the beginning in about a minute and the end back about two minutes. I can get the little push pin to come up but I can't seem to drag either one. I searched for videos and tutorials but nothing helped.

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Got another two for you. Can I set the phone to vibrate and ring for calls texts and voice mail? Also how do I set a reminder tone to go off every few minutes if I didn't hear the original text or mail alert? Thanks again. Loving phone but signal in San diego not so great.

10. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Okay. Go into settings and sounds and turn on vibrate under ring. That way it will ring and vibrate.

As far as the reminder text, go into settings, Messages and turn on repeat alert. That will alert you two more times after the original. Unfortunately, there is no setting to repeat the alert for mail. That is a one time shot, until you get another mail message.

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Got it. Thanks. Gotta hope for a change to that in future updates. Couldn't be so hard to alert every five minutes or so for a while.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Birthday Alerts

I wanted to set up my iphone to alert me in advance of Birthdays. I see that if I put the birthday in as a regular, recurring event, I can set a two-day alert. However, if I go to my imac, use my address book and put in a birthday, the imac syncs that to my ical and then to my phone. I'm missing the step in which I can now set up an alert. Can I? P.S. I did do a google search and found some old threads that said this wasn't possible without a new app....just wondering if anything has changed since those posts.