Newbie - Just bought a MacBook Pro at a great deal!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spartanforever, May 7, 2009.

1. spartanforever macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about switching for a long time, and I finally made the move! I've been a lifelong Windows user but used the G4 back in school. Never really felt the need to switch until now when I recently re-discovered Leopard, iLife etc. So I'm super-excited. Besides, I'm a UI Designer by profession so it kind of helps as well!

So, for those who are in the market for a MBP I got an awesome deal from JR.com. I bought the 15.4" 2.53 Ghz, 4gb ram version (I know the new ones are 2.66 ghz but this one was being discounted). I asked JR if they would price match it with MacConnection who was selling it for 2169 (after mail-in rebates) and they did. So I got it for 2169 - no taxes (CA) and free shipping. On top of that I had $500 worth of gift cards from my citi thank you network which I could use at JR. Net net, it cost me less than $1700!

Glad to be part of the Mac community now!

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Congratulations and welcome to the Mac world and to the Forum!

Sounds like you got a great deal!
    Enjoy your Mac and make yourself at home here!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Congradulations but why didnt you go for the new MacBook Pro 15 inch for $1,999 it would have been even cheaper after credit rebate.:apple:

4. spartanforever thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't quite get you. I did buy a new MBP. The $1999 one is the 2.4 ghz one with 2gb ram,25o gb hard drive etc, the one I got is a 2.53 ghz with 4gb ram, 320gb hard drive, 512mb graphic card etc.

Are you asking why i chose the a 2.53 over a 2.4 MBP?

And also, what credit rebate are you referring to? It'll be good to know as I still have time to cancel my order!

Thanks!!

Sid

5. redaxe macrumors newbie

No, he means why did you choose a new 2.53 MBP over a refurbished 2.53MBP. I'm waiting for my refurb to come in this Saturday! I'm super excited. Congratulations on the new Macbook Pro! Post your impressions when you get it.

6. spartanforever thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah - got it. Well, I'd still had to pay taxes, etc..and would have come up to ~ 2200. That would be 500 more than I paid for a new one! No brainer for me..

Is there any other incentive (cash/credit) buying a refurbished from the Apple store?

7. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

To the OP: Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Mac Community.

You got a great deal based on what you described, no need to look back.

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

welcome to mac

dude, welcome to the mac world! The way I describe the experience to my PC friends is that it's similar to standing in a room with a noisy fan in the background. It dosen't bother you because you tune it out, but once you turn it off, you're like "wow how did I stand all that noise?". That's exactly how I feel about PC's. There will be a short learning curve if you're used to windows that involves learning how to do stuff differently, like not being able to click enter to open a document (doing so in mac allows you to rename a document), but there will also be loads of new and better features such as setting up hot corners or gestures.

Enjoy the new Mac!

9. redaxe macrumors newbie

Mine came to $2138. :) I didn't have your $500 cash off though. Haha, I'm on the same boat as you with my excitement though. Mine should get here on Saturday!

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod