Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skipstonemedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I did a clean install on Standard Server on a to-spec Mac, on a small Airport network with the intent to share files, iCal and VPN for outsiders to access via their macs.

I've not set up my Asante router yet (Airport is plugged into it), however I can easily access the server via AFP & it shows beautifully in my finder.

However, I can't connect via iCal - I get this error. I suspect I named my server incorrectly with a .private. The error I get is:

SERVER IS UNREACHABLE OR ITS NAME IS NOT VALID.

I'm pretty clueless about how DNS works, even after watching the Lynda.com movies a few times and reading the manual. I know, I'm too busy running my business!

Can anyone suggest a fix?

server.jpg

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
start again, from the beginning.

reinstall.

if you don't get dns, get a book, and understand it before you install again. it is the most important function to have running on Server, because if it doesn't work perfectly, nothing will play ball.

.private and other similar silly extensions should be avoided. use a FQDN (fully qualified domain) such as server.yourname.com. if you've got the lynda.com training videos you do have it easier. i've seen them and they explain it well (for advanced server anyway) - follow that on one screen while configuring dns their way on another. replace their domain with yours, and you should be good to go. follow their set up to the letter, and it will work.

remember to ensure that Server is using a static IP address too. DNS doesn't like having a dynamic address.

skipstonemedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Fresh install helped without the silly .private

Thanks, bigandy. Figured I'd try that route, and I did get the iCal to connect and work by using my fully qualified domain name. Now, some twiddling on my client Macs to get everything right. I did the VPN file for my MBP and installed at home to try and connect. Poor thing couldn't get past the blue start up screen, but fortunately booted fully once back at the office. Tossed a few prefs and I'm back.

I've watched the Lynda.com videos a few times, however they don't quite layout DNS in layman's terms - I wish I could get a flow chart to wrap my head around it.

For those of you in similar predicaments, try this link... scroll about 10 replies down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.