Newbie list

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scooterguitar, Mar 10, 2008.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I'll just start a list of some basic ?'s as I am learning on my first Mac
    text Editor for my word processing on this badn new macbook? Or is there another

2. To rip and burn a cd I have...simply put it in? Is the iTunes good for burning?

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

iTunes works just fine for burning audio CDs. Just put the songs you want on a playlist, and then select the "Burn CD" option near the bottom.

3. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Tried to configure the mail setup to my yahoo account and think I messed it all up.
    I can't even figure out how to go into the setup procedure again to retry it.

4. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

If your budget does not allow the $99 student version of Microsoft Office, there is an open-source product (NeoOffice) that states it is compatible with Word documents. I have not tried this app, but there is another thread having a discussion about this product.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

File > Add Account

You have to go to Mail Options in Yahoo! and turn on POP Settings.

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

- start Mail
    - click on Mail menu at the top of the screen
    - then preferences
    - In preferences dialog, choose Accounts tab
    -select the offending account from the list and click on the minus sign at the bottom of the list.
    - click on the plus sign to add a new account and go through the wizard questions again.

Cheers

Attached Files:

7. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks you.
    Tried it, yahoo isn't logging in for some reason.
    I followed yahoo's POP info and tried a few times. Hmm.

8. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

unless you have a PAID account w/yahoo, last time i checked, they disabled POP3 so its will NOT work no matter what you do. your only alternative to paying would be to see if you the forwarding option works in free yahoo mail. if it does create an account with someone who DOES allow pop like gmail, have your yahoo mail fwd'd to it and let Mail retrieve it from there. good luck

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Bean could be good enough for you. Many things it can't do, but it starts up very fast, and a nice live word count is built in.

10. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

For burning CDs, iTunes is fine. For more granular control of burning CDs/DVDs, you can use the freeware Burn.

/Rupert