Newbie looking for help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MewTech, Apr 9, 2012.

1. MewTech macrumors member

So, I'm in the mindset of getting a 2011 Macbook pro. I'm holding off because I know the 2012 refresh is supposedly not too far away. My question to you guys is, based on the past, how far is the 2011 model going to drop (the 13 inch model), when the 2012 releases? Is there some kind of pattern it follows?

P.S., worst comes to worse, I'll just buy a used Macbook if the price is still a bit steep. ($700+ is a bit h for a college student on a budget), is there any preferred place to buy MBPs at a discounted price? Even Apple's student discount isn't good enough. $100 off a $1,200 laptop doesn't really help my budget any

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It completely depends on the new features.

Refurbished from Apple is about as cheap as they come "new". MicroCenter had a deal on the 13" in store for $999.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

they don't drop a whole lot. Apple does have clearances but that's only until they sell out the inventory. a little less than a refurb, but not a huge amount.

4. MewTech thread starter macrumors member

Darn. Maybe I can make a deal with my parents and do a half-half deal. If not that, I've been a few 2011 models going for about $800 on Craigslist.

I hate being a poor college kid. :p

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If you can get your hands on a 2011 model for $800 snap it up. The cheapest I have seen them in the refurb store is 1019. I have heard of people finding them for 999 but 800 is a steal for a 2011 machine. One thing you should know Apple isn't really something you can get into on the cheap. However 700 will buy you a decent Windows machine and I believe sony has a Vaio that retails at best buy for 649, just make sure you look at all your options, the Apple tax is pretty steep.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

If you can swing $700, you are not a poor college kid.

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The early 2011 2.3GHz 13" MBP is regularly offered in the Apple refurb section for $929. The late 2011 2.4GHz goes for around $1019.

The only difference between the two models is 200MHz and a 320GB vs. 500GB internal drive.

8. MewTech thread starter macrumors member

I'm skipping my cell phone and food bill for a while to get this.

"If you can get your hands on a 2011 model for $800 snap it up. The cheapest I have seen them in the refurb store is 1019. I have heard of people finding them for 999 but 800 is aows steal for a 2011 machine. One thing you should know Apple isn't really something you can get into on the cheap. However 700 will buy you a decent Windows machine and I believe sony has a Vaio that retails at best buy for 649, just make sure you look at all your options, the Apple tax is pretty steep."

I've looked into Windows laptops/netbooks/ultrabooks. They are cheap for a decent machine. But I'd like to invest in a MBP because the value will retain itself over the years.

Also, I just wanna try something new. I have a Windows 7 desktop for gaming, and an old netbook with Arch Linux on it for nerdy tech stuff. Now I want a MBP to complete the trinity. :D

9. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

First I would be extremely skeptical/cautious about "great" deals on craigslist. Not unheard of to be a robbery set-up or you get a broken machine with a nice case on it.

Secondly, if you buy a $1000 MBP and it devalues 50% in 5 years(college career plus 1 year), your depreciation cost is $500. If you buy a $650 windows machine that devalues 70% in 5 years, your depreciation value is $455. Essentially it costs you the same, but it's how much can you afford today?

Your last point tells us that you really just want an Apple. We get it obviously, but don't tell us it's about value or whatever.

10. MewTech thread starter macrumors member

I only want it to try something new. I don't like Apple as a company. But I am an IT Tech, and knowing how to repair various Mac products would seriously boost my resume. Considering it's pretty much r. required at most companies. Don't try to tell me the reasons for me wanting something. You're no psychic, and it's just kinda rude.