Newbie looking for some guidance for 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gadawg31, Jun 30, 2010.

1. gadawg31 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have spent the past hour looking through the posts and there are a lot of info, too much to be exact. What I am looking for is some basic guidance for what you would recommend doing first, second, and so on. I have a 8gb 3G iphone, version 3.1.3(7E18), firmware 05.12.01 and I have not updated to the 4.0OS and I want to jailbreak it. I have read several posts about the different types of software, redsnow, spirit, etc.. but not sure which one to get or where to get it from. Once I get started, I am pretty computer savy, but there is just way too much info to really get a handly on what to do first or what to look out for, etc... Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gadawg31

2. The General macrumors 601

3. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks General. I take it the instructions are built into the redsnow software or is there any place to go and get some tips. Anything special to know before I attempt, any special backups, saves, should I remove anything from my phone first,etc... I just don't want to lose anything. Thanks

4. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/06/...sing-redsn0w-for-iphone-3g-users-windows.html

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/06/how-to-jailbreak-ios-4-using-redsn0w-for-iphone-3g-users-mac.html

5. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info MrThompsonR. I am getting ready to try it all, but wanted to know if there is a particular version of ultrasnow to use in order to unlock the phone.

6. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

General, one question for you. I have read several reports that I should not upgrade to 4.0, but rather stay with the 3.1.3 due to the phone becoming very sluggish. Too late, I have already upgraded. What is all the noise about 4.0? Any ideas on ultrasnow or what particular version? Thanks.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The only version of Ultrasn0w on Cydia is the new one 0.9.3