Newbie loving Mac, but two questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BitterB, Jul 5, 2007.

1. BitterB macrumors member

Folks, I'm loving the new iMac 24. Have transferred all the old PC files I want via direct connect ethernet, and I have two questions about my new set up:

1) I transferred tons of .wma music files, but I've figured from other threads that iTunes in Mac can't do anything with them (including converting). I'm guessing I'm just better off deleting them all off the iMac and reloading from CD the ones I really want in my new iTunes set up, as opposed to going back onto my Dell and converting them into iTunes there, then transferring them to my iMac. What do you think?? Any advice from those that have been faced with a similar situation??

2) I now have my iMac and old Dell hooked up to a wireless router. I've enable my iMac for "windows sharing" and "printer sharing". Being the paranoid dude I am, should I have any fear of outside intruders via the internet getting into my iMac?? I did enable the Mac OS X firewall, but nothing else (i.e. McAfee, Zonealarm, etc..). I probably don't have anything to worry about, but thought I'd run this by you experts.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. It's good to be part of this sharing community of Mac helpers.:)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Welcome to Macs. :)

Converting them on the Dell or using an app on the Mac like EasyWMA is an option. However, converting a file from one compressed format to another (WMA to MP3 as an example) will definitely result in quality loss as different aspects of the file are removed. It's almost definitely worthwhile re-ripping the tracks into iTunes.

Nah, you'll be right. Don't worry about antivirus apps either. They'll just unnecessarily take up your resources.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This is the one thing that still freaks me out. Coming from the Windows world, not having virus protection feels like being naked in front of a thousand people...it's just weird still.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What's so weird about being naked in front of a thousand people? :confused:

5. bartelby macrumors Core

It's ok MJ, they'll learn...

6. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

lol :D i learned fast, i have always admired the fact that you can bare all on the net with a mac and not catch one thing. And if there is a virus they are almost always written very poorly :D yay for mac