newbie mac air question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by livingsimply, Mar 31, 2011.

1. livingsimply macrumors newbie

Hi

I just bought my first Mac air 11"yesterday. I am just so excited as I've been saving up for one for a while now. It was used but less than a month old and now I need to get some advice on what to do with the following. I write short voluntee articles for some rural newspapers. Are there any good programs you have found that could recommend for an amateur writer?
    If it were you, what new or additional programs should I be looking at adding to my Air to make it more functional?

Thanks for any advice

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I like Pages. I think that it's pretty cheap at the App Store. There are some free open source word processing applications like Open Office too.

One of the nice things about Pages if you are creating documents for public consumption is that it easily toggles between word processing mode and a very useful DTP-ish layout mode.

And for what it's worth, I've finally ditched Microsoft Office, though if you need to be able to view Word documents with perfect compatible layout, you may just have to get Office 2011.